All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

2001 Trooper 3.5 De-CAT and/or EGR Blank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickologjam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 15:37    Post subject: 2001 Trooper 3.5 De-CAT and/or EGR Blank Reply with quote

I'm running a 3.5 Trooper on LPG. No issues except recurring EGR fault which doesn't seem to affect drivability (Just throws a fault code intermittently).

I'm pretty much decided on running the car to death myself now so wondered how a couple of mods may help with economy long term.

No doubt its been asked to death on here but mostly regarding diesels....

Is it worth blanking the EGR? Obviously if the EGR valve is knackered I'll still have a check engine light whether the ports are blocked or not.

Also if running LPG will the CAT still be a requirement for MOT and will I notice a significant benefit in economy from other peoples experience?

Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 15:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

New laws state that if a cat was fitted at factory then it will be a fail if not present at time of test. Also without it your emissions will be way out and it will fail on that.

I have no idea on the effect of blanking the EGR valve on the V6's. I personally would clean/replace it if possible as the Check Engine light is also a fail.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

nickologjam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so I accept that EGR and CAT will have to be present and working for MOT.

Theoretically speaking then if they were both to fall off post MOT what would be the effect on drivability and fuel economy?
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea  Very Happy

I know this engine is Used in the Vauxhall Frontera and people have reported issues with poor running if the EGR valve is missing/playing up.

They can be cleaned apparantly. Just a good scrubbing of the mechanism with some carb cleaner. Little tiny squirt of WD40 and it should be fine and dandy.

As for the Cats, I wouldn't know. Could be better as restriction is now gone .. could be worse as there now isn't enough back pressure.

Deceased

nickologjam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its more than just a clean required. I've taken it off twice this week and the valve plunger appears to be sticking. There is no way to dismantle so I will have to replace.

The CAT question remains unanswered from what I can tell. I wondered about back pressure but would have thought that a clean CAT provides very little restriction as it is a straight through pipe. Some people suggest that they are not required with LPG but I believe they do still play a part in reducing HC emissions.
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkes no difference MOT wise. They don't care what fuel goes in. All they are told to do is look for it, and fail if not present if one was fitted at factory.

Deceased

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: