Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

4JX1 Misfire now non start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirtystopout

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 17:16    Post subject: 4JX1 Misfire now non start Reply with quote

First post, but I feel as if I know most of you because I've been all over this forum trying to help with this 4JX1 I have to sort out but I'm disappearing up my backside a bit and need some help if possible.

The car was presented with a misfire at idle and throughout the rev range. It would however start first turn of the key. So carried out the following tests:

* Oil level checked - a smeg over the maximum (oil changed 7,000 miles ago)
* Coolant level checked - OK and no diesel present
* Check engine light on - Diagnostic scan with snap-on & carman scan - Both pulled only a TB code which I know has been there for years
* Observed that the ten pin injector harness was dripping in oil - cleaned with contact cleaner - no difference

My suspicions were drawn to the injectors, so over the weekend I rigged up a loom to join between the ten pin plug in the hope that I could do a 'live' test on the injectors to point me in the right cylinder direction.

Now this is where it gets interesting (not Wink ). It had stood all weekend and started fine when I wanted to turn it around to move it into a more suitable place to work on it, but 15 minutes after this it has become a non starter. All I had done is give the ten pin plug one more clean as there was still evidence of oil so I thought I'd give it one more go before I connected my temporary test loom  Evil or Very Mad

I now have a vehicle that:
* Cranks but doesn't fire (it will half run on easy start so I'm happyish with mechanical side of things)
* NO engine check light
* NO glow plug light illuminated
* NO comms with 16 pin plug when reconnected with snap-on & Carman scan to scan for additional faults

So for the last few days of scouring this forum and utilising some of the top info given, I have now checked/tested/carried out the following:

* Bypassed the ten pin injector plug by chopping out & soldering the ten wires because I wasn't happy about some of the pins in the female (loom side) connector
* Tried the white wire trick - no difference
* Brake lights work
* ALL fuses checked in kick panel & underbonnet - OK
* Checked for broken wires behind kick panel fusebox - OK
* Checked all male & female pins at J1, J2 & J3 at the ECU for integrity - OK
* Tested power & grounds at the J3 plug of the ECU - OK
* Tested both ECU relays & voltage to them present

A couple of things that stand out and may be worth mentioning are that:

* There's no power to main glow plug wire (disconnected from plug) - unless I bridge 30 & 87
* The glow plugs themselves have been goosed for years but not replaced because they are definitely gonna snap on removal - the owner has lived with this.
* There is voltage present at ECU for pins relating to glow plug light & engine check light (J1 pins 11 & 12)
* Coolant temp senor is reading at 1.6 volts (ambient)!! - Info I have says 2-4 volts...is this correct? - The sensor voltage does react when pouring boiling water on it though
* There is no power to ANY pin of the 'Thermo SW' relay in under bonnet fusebox??

There's probably a few tests I have carried out but can't remember because my head is fried typing this so feel free to ask if I've missed anything or if some kind soul can suggest where I go from here Wink

Right, I'm off to shave my head because I'm fed up of pulling it out for one day!  Very Happy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 17:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

eithan h

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like ecu gone tits up if you got no glow plug light as it's the ecu that controls it, looking at diagrams it seems the ecu isn't earthing anything hence no lights. you haven't touched the battery positive to the casing by any chance?
dirtystopout

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

eithan h wrote:
sounds like ecu gone tits up if you got no glow plug light as it's the ecu that controls it, looking at diagrams it seems the ecu isn't earthing anything hence no lights.

This is my thinking too. Are there any other tests I can do while it is still live on the vehicle to confirm?
If not and it needs to be sent away for test/repair...can you recommend anyone who has some experience of this type of ECU?

eithan h wrote:
you haven't touched the battery positive to the casing by any chance?

No, definitely not. I'm 110% sure of that because I've witnessed the fallout of that situation in the past - it wasn't pretty Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: