4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

B pillar repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bodywork, trim, fixtures & fittings ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SJHBryan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 23:56    Post subject: B pillar repair Reply with quote

I have a '98 3.0TD trooper which has got slight damage to a few pillars and the roof. The rest of the car is superb and after having an engine overhaul and new clutch assembly, drives great too, therefore, I don't want to scrap her in. My question is whether its possible to repair the damage with replacement pillars and does anyone know if they are bolted/plug/spot welded together. What other considerations are there (apart from the obvious-I know for certain the chassis isn't twisted)?
Any thoughts and rambling would be appreciated
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 23:56    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can cut out the damage and weld in new sections but it needs to be done properly!
The posts are spot welded in, and its a huge job to replace the whole thing. I've worked in bodyshops including Porsche and VW/Audi dealers, and have seen many post repairs. The important thing is that the welding is strong enough, to maintain the shell strength should it go over again, and to retain rigidity.
Is the A post undamaged?  Wink
SJHBryan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is unfortunately, never mind then, I'll just find a cheaper LWB trooper with a knackered engine and perform a heart and lungs transplant along with any other parts that are in better nick on mine
Thanks anyway!!
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still repair the A post, just a bit tricky as its usually a double box section, like a number 8 in cross section.
Just look at all the cars Boyd Coddington and West Coast Customs etc. chop up, in the USA where laws are much tighter  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bodywork, trim, fixtures & fittings ... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: