All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

A Good Day Out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Readers Drives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crocket

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:31    Post subject: A Good Day Out Reply with quote

Not too many pics of the Bighorn as I was in it! I'll post some more when I get copies of the other's pics.

The first half of this river is way deeper than it looks - that's a lifted Landie and it's in the shallower stuff now.
Gotta get your wading tequnique just right if you've no snorkel.
Bighorn made it fine even though the water came right over the bonnet and up to the screen. 8)

The Disco didn't, however, he went too slow, lost his bow-wave and got water into his engine - he's getting a push here so I can attach a rope and pull him out. Smile

Had to remove/replace the injectors to get water out of the engine so it was a little steamy on startup to say the least. Very Happy

These lanes were VERY narrow and tree lined and the ones where they're leaning were taken with the camera held horizontally to give an idea of the lean angle attained - a bit scary when you're in the car. Good job there was grip here.

The Frontera looks good all stickered up. Each sticker is over a dent too!

There were some huge rocks and steps to go over on this trail - what with those and all the tree scratching it's probably a good job that all you Ladies didn't come after all. Wouldn't want to risk yer Chelsea Tractors now, would you? (Only joking - it'd be good to see some of you join us next time).

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

mikeeboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

good pics
:::Matski:::
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you had fun!

Where were you?
Suckin' Diesel Baby!

siweb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice 8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exciting outing indeed and the river looks like fun if you get through it. Are the red Disco and green Frontera diesels? It looks like in picture 3 that the Disco probably is diesel given how the exhaust smoke looks like when it started up. We have the same exact looking Discos over here in the US, but sadly all of them are V8s (gas hogs, no thank you Surprised ). If the Frontera is diesel what engine does it have? After becoming a more experienced off roader I wouldn't mind trying to cross that river, as it seems like a challenge for some vehicles. Great looking pictures and looks like you had fun.

Salvy
crocket

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, all the vehicles are diesels except one of the Range Rovers which has a V8 and always has to wimp out when near water so it seems a bit useless to me. He had a long trip to circumnavigate the river.
The Disco smoked/steamed like mad on startup 'cause the exhaust filled with water when he got stranded. It soon settled down, though.
The Frontera has (I think) a 2.3 litre, Isuzu engine in it. Doesn't sound much but he went everywhere everyone else did, no problem.
Mine is the only automatic in the group being an unofficial import from Japan. I love auto gearboxes and can't understand why they're unpopular in Britain.

My missus and I planning a long trip over next year as we have friends in Calgary, Alberta and plan to see some of Montana too the next time we go over. We borrowed their Chevy Silverado last time but it was a bit new so I didn't abuse it (too long a wheelbase anyways) but next time I'm going to buy a cheap 4x4 (maybe an old Blazer or Explorer or something), use it for the holiday then get them to sell it for me after we come home then I'll be able to explore the Rockies a lot better.

I'd like to think that we could meet up but Pennsylvania is a looooong way away from Alberta or Montana. Never mind, I noticed last time that there is a good 4x4 community around the Canmore/Banff area of Alberta so I'm sure I'll find a guide or two.
jonkem

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recognise some of those lanes, the one in pic 9 where the cars are disapearing up the side of a hill has washed out a lot since the last time I was up there when it was bsically a track for shinies to drive. I still have the scrape down the side of the Fronty when I took the left hand track in pic 10 just for a bit of fun Twisted Evil
Don't be suprised with the capabilites of the swb Fronty, it is 100% a Trooper underneath the slightly more aerodynamic bodywork. 2.3 is a strange conversion though Question
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
turboDIESELtrooper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

crocket, that would be cool if you could stop here in Pennsylvania but when talking Montana and Alberta, Canada it's a long distance between all three. As you and some others may know I'm looking into buying a good, used Isuzu 4JB1-T turbo diesel engine with gearbox from over there in the UK to convert a gas Trooper as a possible future project. That would be great if you could bring me a whole unit over when you come to the States, but it's probably asking too much given you'll travel by airplane. I can seem to find reasonable prices for an engine/gearbox, but when you factor in the shipping that's where I get charged most of the bill. I try to visit eebuygum UK at least every two days to see what new auctions are up for used 2.8 engines and they pop up quite often. Right now I'm not employed so I couldn't pay for the unit, but in as little as a few months I could be able to send money straight to the UK as full payment. The time it takes to get here is not a factor at all and I could wait months for it if it can be shipped by boat (overseas). All it has to do is basically get shipped across the Atlantic Ocean and it's here in the US/Pennsylvania. If I had to drive 100-200 miles to further pick it up at a dock I sure would do it without hesitation. Thanks for your reply.

Salvy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Readers Drives All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: