4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Lower Balljoint Problem

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:03    Post subject: Lower Balljoint Problem Reply with quote

I recently bought an Isuzu Bighorn Lotus edition initially for the engine to put into my existing Bighorn, however it seemed to be too good to just use for parts so I put it in for an MoT and all it failed on was an ineffective horn and split rubber on the lower wishbone balljoint on the passenger side.

I have bought the new balljoint and set about the job. All the nuts/bolts came undone easily but I cannot get the balljoint to come out of the hub carrier. I have tried heat, two balljoint splitters which have both bent and also a ten ton hydraulic puller all with no success.

Has anyone ever had this problem and can anyone think of a possible solution before I either set fire to it or sell the bloody thing?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

d12
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a few good posts , if you do a quick search on main page , good one there about putting jack under Ball hoing and hitting with big hammer !
Shadow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that too!
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you pop the tie rod from the steering knuckle and remove the assembly, I have found that really stubborn ones can be removed by hitting the knuckle on the outside radius with a lump hammer a good few very heavy whacks. Then with the nut on the end of the threads of the ball joint hit it as hard as you can pops it.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

Shadow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about taking the whole lot off to get to it easier, but even the steering joint didn't want to separate. Not even tried the top balljoint yet as I'm guessing it will be much the same.

I was thinking of just swapping the complete assembly from the black vehicle I have, but doing anything seems to be very hard work just now. Still recovering after being knocked off my motorbike at the start of February.
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top ball joint is usually easy to pop. I haven't had an issue with them to date. It is the lower one that complains. The steering one I tend to undo the nut until its almost off. Then whack the knuckle around it, then whack the nut. Tends to give up after that.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

Grandad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

the quickest way to remove is use the grinder with cutting disc and cut the ball off level at the top then use the cutting torch blow the middle out be careful not to cut into the upright
15 mins max
Grandad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

the quickest way to remove is use the grinder with cutting disc and cut the ball off level at the top then use the cutting torch blow the middle out be careful not to cut into the upright
15 mins max
Grandad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

the taper bit thats left from one I did earlier

gt-nick
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there,

did you have any sucsess at getting the ball joint off,...??
Retro Pedro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for another option to others, what about the syncrenised double hammer timed to a tune?
Loosening off the crown nut but leaving in situ. Jacked up the truck and support with a decent axle stand under the chassis or other safe/solid position away from the working area. Then trolley jack up under the bottom ball joint and lift it slightly higher so that the weight of the truck is on the trolley jack but the axle stand is still in place to catch the weight when the ball joint releases. We're only talking about 1/2 inch max here. Then when ready with the truck weight on the ball joint syncrenised hitting with 2 heavy lump hammers on the hub where the ball joint goes up through. Couple of soft thumps then a good hard thump, hence doing it to tune to help get the timing right. Don't ask me what tune because I'm sure you're getting the idea. When I done mine a couple of syncrenised thumps done the trick. For obvious reasons work from the side and definitely not underneath, even if you could. All this after a bit of releasing spray/WD40 allowed to soak in and of course with the nuts undone underneath the ball joint.
sbrad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to do even this replacement work lower ball joint.
I am sure that I will also extraction problems, there is some video showing the work to be done?

The original replacement (genuine ISUZU) costs very much !! in Italy the complete set (2 lower and 2 upper balljoints) costs about 300 €
Wanting to choose a commercial parts, I saw that there are many brands that produce this article and at different prices (from € 10 to € 40 a piece). among the many which is the best brand name to choose?

thank you
Stephen
drew m

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 18:44    Post subject: Ball joints Reply with quote

Hi
If you buy blueprint you will be fine in my opinion, delphi, or mayle also work for me.
chugg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

moog are good. £20 each.

might be easier for us to buy them and post them to you in Italy.
sbrad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOOG found them here in Italy (from Germany stock provenance) at about the same price as reported by Chugg.
But of course ... too much price difference with the original, I do not think Mom ISUZU factory ball joints, would be curious to know which home provides these parts for ISUZU which then provides to put the mark ... maybe TRW or HERT BUSS unless directly MONROE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: