QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Is it time to scrap the ole girl?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Other Trooper queries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morayfirthaudio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 13:12    Post subject: Is it time to scrap the ole girl? Reply with quote

Its a bit of a weird one but essentially I have a Bighorn 3.1, and for its age its lovely however because I've not been working and changing jobs the old girl is not getting the attention it should. So how it stands at the moment it needs 2 pipes from the auto box to the cooler and 2 pipes for the power steering, can only get them from dealer and to buy and fit it £500. It needs a new battery and I'm sure it wont be long before she'll need an exhaust.
So the question is... is it time to scrap Sad
Or repair and breath life into her? She is in great condition for her age 1993 with a full service history and she is at 180000 always starts first turn, but i'm now thinking that it may start costing more than its worth?

Any opinions

Cheers
Glen
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 13:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Retro Pedro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it. Always going to be a personal call. When dealership repair costs come into play I bet there isn't many old motors out there that the actual resale figure/value is higher than what the dealership invoice is. Apart from high value classics that is. For me it's what the motor is worth to you, I.e. the job it does for you and the reliability that it offers.
If you change to a newer motor and have to outlay alot more bucks then you're in the realms of a lot more annual depreciation. Put that into the equation of repairing your existing motor and may influence your decision. For me, better the devil you know.
Can you lesson the repair burden with DIY repair or employ a lot cheaper independent garage/mobile mechanic?
Also going back to should you keep your motor, I would check how solid the chassis and cross members, out riggers are. If all good, that will enable you to judge that you have got a few more MOT tickets in the pipeline. If that is the case, I would keep it.
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decent set of power steering pipes should be cheap enough from a scrapper or Dan@ Independent Isuzu http://www.independentisuzu.co.uk/contact-us.html

Hose should be cheap enough from eebuygum .. and pretty simple to replace. The steel lines again Dan should have a set if not.

Battery about £90 from here: https://www.tayna.co.uk/G8-Varta-Blue-Dynamic-Car-Battery-595405095-250-334-P3216.html Though they do sell cheaper ones for a cheap interim solution .. go with battery type 250.

In fairness replacing the power steering lines is quite simple once you have the fan cowling out of the way. I would set aside a couple of hours for all of that to be done at a garage.

Personally I would spend the money on something you know is going to be reliable .. you could so easily buy a lemon and spend more than £500 on repairs, initial outlay etc etc

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saying that Dan is less than 2 hours from you .. If you are stumped for a good garage I cannot recommend him more.

Deceased

morayfirthaudio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, that's really helpful  Smile I don't want the car to go as it's been nothing less than faultless, but as I said I'm just worried I'm throwing good money after bad. I don't actually need a 4x4 anymore but it's really just too good to scrap. I'll click those links and get a look at Dans site  Laughing  Laughing
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem .. give Dan a phone call and run through it with him. He is super helpful and friendly.

Deceased

morayfirthaudio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Champion Smile I've just contacted him, so I'm waiting on word back Smile Smile Hopefully I can get the old girl back up and running again Smile
lockpicker1969

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in a similar situation with my 1994 2.5D micro motor home . She’s getting old and slow, a bit like me now lol.

I have been looking around for ages for something newer but the prices for motorhomes are crazy even for something 10 years old and I don’t want to go through all the teething problems of buying something used. So I have decided to spend the money I have been saving on a new engine for it.

I know that the underneath is fairly solid as I’ve done it all. Better the devil you know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Other Trooper queries All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: