Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Changing from auto hubs to manual hubs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gmb8585

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:45    Post subject: Changing from auto hubs to manual hubs Reply with quote

Hello: i have a 1993 Isuzu Bighorn with the manual system for engaging 4wd (shift lever). One of the auto locking hubs is shot, therefore no 4wd.  Is their a procedure posted here that explains how to change to manual locking hubs or I can i buy somewhere a new auto locking hub. In the case of manual hubs, are the ones from Milners any good. I see they fairly inexpensive compared to Warn hubs and other brands. I only use 4wd a few times a year when the snow is heavy so with no off roading i don't think i need heavy duty hubs. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Snow is here now in Canada and i need to do something quick.  thx.  greg
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing them is easy and depending on what wheels you have on sometimes they can be changed without removing the wheel.

To remove the auto hub yu undo the 6 14mm bolts and remove the cover plate and body. Behind that is all the mechanism. That is all held on by a circlip that is on the very end of the CV joint. Flick that off and the rest will come off. Often the circlip pops off and that is the reason why the auto hubs fail to work. May pay you to check the circlip is clipped on before replacing.

To fit the manual hubs you put the main body on and bolt with the 6 allen socket bolts. Then fit the large circlip that sits in the groove in the splines of the CV joint. Then lightly grease/copperslip the mechanism. Then bolt the outer cover on. You will find the outer cover will only go on one way.

Note the autohubs use a smaller circlip on the very end of the CV joint. Manual hubs use a larger (27mm or 26mm) circlip that sits in the groove in the splines of the CV joint. The larger circlip is the same size as the ones used by later fixed hub on SOTF models.

Milners manual hubs have a bad reputation for the cast bodies cracking rendering them useless. Personally I would buy AVM 433's. They are tried and tested. Just each year remove the main body and clean/grease everything and make sure yo copperslip the threads of the little torx screws.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

Retro Pedro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do see a lot of secondhand Aisin manual hubs for sale in USA. Being that your in Canada would have thought that would be worth a look. Have a look on eebuygum or Planetisuzoo
gmb8585

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a closer look at my front hubs. I guess i don't have the auto hubs on the truck as there no visible bolts to take off to remove the cover-just a cylindrical chrome cover over the hub that says BERG supreme automotive supplies. There is a center cap which i will peel off when i get it a heated shop
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have centre caps on your wheels that are covering the autohubs. You will have to remove them if you fit manual hubs as you need to get to the switch on the front to lock them.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

gmb8585

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad, yes, I removed the wheel today and uncovered the the real auto hub. Once I removed the bolts and removed the cover I found that that the locking clip and the washer were dislodged so I cleaned  the hub up, and put the pieces back together and managed to get the circlip and washer seated on the spindle. Tried the 4wd and now it works again. Will have to see how long it manages to
stay back together. Thx for the all the help the forum provided.  greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: