Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

'94 Bighorn not starting properly and rough idle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookingtomato

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 13:52    Post subject: '94 Bighorn not starting properly and rough idle Reply with quote

Hi I'm just wondering if anyone can give me some guidance on diagnosing this issue...

When I turn the ignition on in a cold start the voltmeter barely reads above 8V. I turn the engine over and the starter motor keeps trying to start the engine. I will stop, leave it for a couple of seconds and then start the car but then the idle goes up and down like a yo-yo unless I hold the revs at 1000rpm. If I don't hold the revs it continues to rough idle for a bit and kicks out loads of smoke then kind of calms down. Once driving it seems okay though. When the engine is running the battery voltage (tested via multimeter) is at 12.4V and slowly climbs...I think the highest it reached was 13.8V...is that normal?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 13:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine?

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

cookingtomato

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops sorry I thought I had put that in :/ 3.1TD automatic Smile
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Wink

Sounds like it could be a couple of issues here.

My first guess is you could have failing glow plugs, hence why the double ignition and she then starts. The extra glow cycle gets enough heat into the cylinders to allow the firing cycle to start. Even then it isn't quite warm enough to run fine. Get some heat in and she runs fine all day.

The second one is getting more common with these older trucks, and that is air getting into the fuel inlet system. Porous pipes and or porous pickup pipe on the top of the tank are all contenders. Replacing the steel lines with lengths of fuel hose (8mm for the feed, 6mm for the return) Eliminates that issue. Porous tank pipe is a new tank unfortunatly. Another one we are finding is the fuel filter primer diaphragm splits if it hasn't been used for a while and people go to use it.

The dash voltmeter is known to be a best guess finger in the air affair. Always check at the battery with a multimeter. For example I have just put a new alternator n mine and at first start it was around 13V and then slowly rose to 14.4v. The charging system on the 3.1 isn't the best as the alternators are a bit of a weak point. I would watch it, but not be concerned. Remember if the battery is on its way out then it will drag the system down.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

Wilberforce

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuelling issue could be the cause of both problems, possibly.
First go at cranking could be purging the fuel lines of some air that's got in to the system, but still not quite airtight.

I have a '52 car which has had a 3.1 engine transplanted into it. It'd been running a little rough for a while, and starting was taking longer and longer. Also, looked like a slight diesel leak from the tank area.
Since going to Dan's at Independent Isuzu though, much better. NEw fuel tank, as the top of mine had gone rotten, and was letting air into the system, as well as diesel leaking out from the return line.
Now, no rough idling, starting is a second or two of cranking, and the big puff of blue smoke has gone.

| Jessica  - 2002 Isuzu Trooper Insignia LWB | 3.1 ltr hybrid conversion |
Retro Pedro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried bypassing the fuel priming system by running from a container of diesel post the fuel filter in the bonnet?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: