All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Intercooler

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonkem

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otherwise I want some of those bearings Very Happy
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 13:00    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

WILLIE13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 17:18    Post subject: intercooler Reply with quote

not even sure about axle ratios jonkem? and i dont no why mi 4x4 would bounce of the road markymoan. everyone goes on about troopers wondering and bouncing all over the hole but mines steady. only one fault and thats that nasty black stuff being kick out the back end. drove for the recce platoon all over the world (british army) for five years and found the trooper to be as steady as all the landrovers. [/quote]
markymoan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 17:30    Post subject: Re: intercooler Reply with quote

WILLIE13 wrote:
i dont no why mi 4x4 would bounce of the road markymoan. everyone goes on about troopers wondering and bouncing all over the hole but mines steady. only one fault and thats that nasty black stuff being kick out the back end. drove for the recce platoon all over the world (british army) for five years and found the trooper to be as steady as all the landrovers.

It was a joke mate because they can wonder a bit Shocked , i love my car and it never lets me down Very Happy
BTW i would have my mk1 trooper over a landie anyday.

PS. I was in the Army along with a few other members Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 17:48    Post subject: intercooler Reply with quote

not with it am a, need to climb out of this bubble and get back down to earth. i agree, the trooper is a top all round 4x4. i know there's more than a few die hard off roaders at the itoc but as a family man it provides much more. all the space you need for prams bags and dont forget the spanial & terrier, it's wam and comfortuble for her and the baby, and as the boys can prove its a top off road vehicle.
earned mi sen a few beers this morning with her as well, picked 3 of the lads up from manny airport wi all there bags and got to look at the stunning surroundings over the woodhead, not bad eh, dunt think they'ed fancy that in back of a cold landy
:::Matski:::
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the consensus on the turbo.

Can I just fit an intercooler with the existing turbo, or would you recommend fitting one with a higher boost.

If it wouldn't work with the existing turbo I think I would leave as is.
Suckin' Diesel Baby!

jonkem

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black out the back explains why it flies, a bit overfuelled by the sounds of it. Just keep the oil clean & don't expect it to keep doing it for 500,000 miles Very Happy

Most of the "wanderering" Troops have simple issues like the wrong offset wheels, loose front wheel bearings, old cheap shocks etc. When they're in good order they are pretty solid and they can be thrown around much better than a standard LR on the road, infact, nearly as good as a Frontera can be pushed hard. (feel free to "beep" out the use of Land Rover, markymoan Very Happy )

Can't stand people who knock Troopers when they haven't lived with one for a time Evil or Very Mad Funny how most of the "knockers" drive Landies Exclamation
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
markymoan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

L*nd Ro*er Shocked I wouldnt dream of it Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matski: It is better for your diesel to have an intercooler than not, due to the colder air you'd be burning being better for the engine. It can't damage the engine as you are simply cooling the air.
You won't be increasing the power output by fitting it, for that you would need to up the fueling and probably re-time the pump etc. But you would be de-stressing the engine.
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
WILLIE13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 20:51    Post subject: intercooler Reply with quote

i think theres only one differance with the turbo you have and the one i have with the intercooler, i dont know the name of that part but when it's light tomorow i'll take a photo and find out, then you'll beable to see. as for the performance\side off it you'll have to relay on someone who knows, regards kieran
:::Matski:::
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 21:25    Post subject: Re: intercooler Reply with quote

jonkem wrote:
Matski: It is better for your diesel to have an intercooler than not, due to the colder air you'd be burning being better for the engine. It can't damage the engine as you are simply cooling the air.
You won't be increasing the power output by fitting it, for that you would need to up the fueling and probably re-time the pump etc. But you would be de-stressing the engine.

Ok, the reason I am fitting it is primarily to increase fuel economy, as I tow a unit for my living, so any saving will make a difference over the year (thats why I went for the 2.8 in the first place)

Some extra low down torque would be useful when towing, but this is not really a big concern.

To relive stress on the engine is also a major concern, as I appreciate that whilst these tow well, it was not their design purpose.

One thing that interests me is can you run these to cool?

I worked on an old coastal dredger (1953) as a bit on the side Wink this was fitted with the original Lister Blackstone engine (with the original 53 year old turbo!), on this engine I had to regulate the cooling water to maintain the the optimal running temp, as to run it to cool was said to knacker them up over time.

WILLIE13 wrote:
i think theres only one differance with the turbo you have and the one i have with the intercooler, i dont know the name of that part but when it's light tomorow i'll take a photo and find out, then you'll beable to see. as for the performance\side off it you'll have to relay on someone who knows, regards kieran

Thanks, I think the frontera has a bigger one fitted, so wondered was this out of necessity, due to a bit of boost being lost with the intercooler???
Suckin' Diesel Baby!

jonkem

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the Frontera has a different turbo (i think it's a 3.1 turbo) and a front mounted intercooler. It also uses a different valve in front of the manifold.

If you want some more performance when you have fitted an intercooler I'd suggest taking it to an expert who tunes diesels for a living rather than messing with the fueling & timing yourself.

I'm putting a 3.1 intercooler on the 2.8 just as soon as I get the manifold. If anyones got one please let me know. I will be keeping the same turbo and adjusting it to an optimum setting for performance/economy/stress rather than all out speed.
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
Philp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jezbian on here has fitted a shogun/pajero top mounted intercooler to his. I was quoted £500 to £550 by www.allisport.com to supply and fit a FMIC setup and to optimise all the fuel pump settings etc at the seame time to give a 20 to 25% increase in BHP and torque, most of it well down in the rev band.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
turboDIESELtrooper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philp wrote:
I was quoted £500 to £550 by www.allisport.com to supply and fit a FMIC setup and to optimise all the fuel pump settings etc at the seame time to give a 20 to 25% increase in BHP and torque, most of it well down in the rev band.

Wow, for a 20-25% increase in HP and torque £500-550 seems like it's worth it. Roughly what will the 2.8 turbo diesel be putting to the ground after that bit of work? Sounds pretty interesting for sure and is that just adjusting the fuel delivery more on the injection pump besides the intercooler install?

Salvy
Philp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

An intercooler basically cools the already compressed fuel/air charge making it denser so you get more bang for your buck in the cylinder, add to that the fact that manufacturers fuel settings are conservative when they leave the factory to allow for good longevity, to cope with drivers with heavy right feet and to meet emissions regs it's possible to remove some of that "safety" margin and exchange it for more power, hence the 20%ish figure, older engines like the 2.8 tend to be easier to get more power out of than newer ones that leave the factory in higher states of tune due to todays tax levels on bigger engines etc.

If for example you take an old1300cc Triumph petrol engine as found in Spitfires etc, put a decent exhaust/manifold on it, rework the ports a little, stick an electric cooling fan and some decent air filters on and rejet the carbs and it was easy to get some respectable power increases. A modern 1300cc petrol engine is very difficult to get much out of with serious work or forced induction, in fact much of what used to be applied now can actually lose power these engines are so efficient.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
turboDIESELtrooper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, what do you think the 2.8 will be cranking out after this certain upgrade with the intercooler and adjusted fuel settings? Would you happen to know the exact stock HP and torque ratings of the 4JB1-T according to a factory Isuzu brochure?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: