All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

4WD Light Flashing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moonoroof

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 19:30    Post subject: 4WD Light Flashing Reply with quote

I have a 2001 LWB 3.0L Citation with manual gearbox.
It engages 4WD and disengages, but the green light keeps flashing. I've reversed it so many times, but the light is still blinking.
I've had all the connections and vacuum pipes checked and all are in good shape.
There's something odd though, because when I turn on the ignitionon, the light stays on for about 10 secs and then goes into the blinking mode (normal I think), but at the same time, the battery light and the handbrake light start blinking as well.
Just in case, I've had the cluster out and checked the circuit board, and all's nice.

As ever, I'd be grateful for any guidance on how to find the culprit.
Thanks

Michael
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 19:30    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does the same, The system works fine just that the light flashes all the time. As it works I havent bothered looking at it. I was told it's probably a wire come of the solinoid.
moonoroof

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've nowread Rhangars Sticky, and for anyone wanting to find out how the Trooper 4x4 system works, it's a Godsend. Very Happy
I'm going to have my mechanic to check those suspects.
Browndoff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 15:34    Post subject: Flashing 4WD Light Reply with quote

You say it 'works' - so the flashing light doesn't matter too much - OK but to get 'normal operation' you need to fix the 4WD light to go 'ON' while in 4WD.

The movement of the half-shaft should trip a position-switch on the shaft and send a signal back to the 4WD Control Unit, which should make the light shine continuously. If the 4WD is working mechanically but the light still flashes, then this position-switch might be faulty  - so you could remove it and check its function with a multimeter [or at least a battery and a bulb!] - it should close the circuit when the end is pushed-in.

Otherwise the line back to the 4WD Control Unit might be faulty. Check that by running a new line from the Switch Unit back to the 4WD Control Unit where the [probably] faulty line connects [I think it's #9]. If this new line makes the 4WD-light go 'solid', then you've proved that the cable back from the half-shaft was faulty - so your new problem is to run a permanent replacement cable back to the 4WD Control Unit - usually best to do it along the original cable-route.

Good Luck!
moonoroof

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 16:14    Post subject: Re: Flashing 4WD Light Reply with quote

Browndoff wrote:
You say it 'works' - so the flashing light doesn't matter too much - OK but to get 'normal operation' you need to fix the 4WD light to go 'ON' while in 4WD.

The movement of the half-shaft should trip a position-switch on the shaft and send a signal back to the 4WD Control Unit, which should make the light shine continuously. If the 4WD is working mechanically but the light still flashes, then this position-switch might be faulty  - so you could remove it and check its function with a multimeter [or at least a battery and a bulb!] - it should close the circuit when the end is pushed-in.

Otherwise the line back to the 4WD Control Unit might be faulty. Check that by running a new line from the Switch Unit back to the 4WD Control Unit where the [probably] faulty line connects [I think it's #9]. If this new line makes the 4WD-light go 'solid', then you've proved that the cable back from the half-shaft was faulty - so your new problem is to run a permanent replacement cable back to the 4WD Control Unit - usually best to do it along the original cable-route.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the tips. Very Happy
All sorted: 2 broken wires to the switches/valves on the front axle. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: