Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

FRONTERA manual hubs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhad

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 18:37    Post subject: FRONTERA manual hubs Reply with quote

Hi

sorry to post on Isuzu about Frontera, but I cant find active enough frontera forum and also as i heard, frontera is similar to Isuzu....

So, here is the thing.

I am a bit confused . I have 1997 Frontera Sport niagara 2.0i

and MANUAL Aisin hubs. that is the first confusion since I thought frontera has automatic? (but OK, former owner must have change them...)

Second, one of the hubs are stacked in free, I cant lock it. Ok, so I have both on FREE !
now, confusion. but when I switch to 4H in cabin, I do have drive on front (and rear of course) axle, 100%. Checked on repair center....

what is happening , since most of them told me that I can not have 4x4 with manual hubs on FREE?? But I do have....
Until I fix hubs (which will be soon) I cant check what is happening when I lock them.
On of the few, of many I asked, is telling me that manual hubs are actually for locking front diff, while 4H is transferring drive to the front wheels.
Since I dont have cen. diff. I suppose I have next options:

1. 2H - just rear drive
2. 4H with manual hubs on free- 4x4 and situation like I have cent. diff. on lock - rear and front axle spinning at the same speed
3. 4H with front hubs on LOCK -  4x4 and situation like "2" plus front diff locked
4. 4L - low range....that is understood.

can you please comment?

thank you
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 18:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Retro Pedro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fundamentally your Frontera front hubs work the same as the Trooper Mk2 (pre SOTF).
You got a result with the manual Aisin hubs.
Your correct regarding no centre diff. When you select 4H or 4L the transfer case effectively  engages the front prop shaft into driving the front axle differential. As with any 'open' differential, drive will go to one side only, dependent on least resistance.
The manual hubs only lock the drive shaft into the wheel hub, on both sides when locked accordingly. It does NOT lock the differential.
Need to add more info later because my tablet battery is about to run out
mhad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank for your answer.

In the meantime I have realized that hubs had nothing to do with front diff lock,  Frontera does not have front diff locker system.

OK, so hubs are locking wheel to the driveshaft so to be able to have power on to the wheels when I select 4H and transfer power to the front of the car.

There is my confusion, since my hubs are showing FREE , but still ,when I select 4H I do have front wheel power...that is certain. in 4H front wheels are turning on throttle, in 2H they are not.

so what that means? I have locked hubs no matter what they are showing ? is it possible, mechanically?

BTW; one hub i can easily turn to lock position mark, but other one I cant, that one I can turn only for around 30 degrees but not to the LOCK mark. it stuck, but with no sounds, cracking, or so...

I will get hubs disassembled and repaired but so far I didn't find experience enough service shop with 4X4 cars...

In the mean time I would like to have clear "diagnose" of my current situation
Retro Pedro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me I would take the Aisin hubs apart and give them a clean and grease up.
I have seen a 'how to' threads on the forums somewhere. Not sure if it was on here or the Fronteras Owners Group. I'll see if I can find a link for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: