QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Part time leisure battery?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ogri the trog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 20:24    Post subject: Part time leisure battery? Reply with quote

Calling on the collective knowledge of the forum as electrics and I seem to have a mutual distrust of one-another.

Is it possible....

I'd like to occasionally use a leisure battery - I help with communications on mountain endurance events so I drive to remote places, hoist an antenna and sit next to a radio for hours at a time until the event has moved on when I drive a few miles and repeat the exercise.

If I was to fit a "Split charge relay" and have wires leading to a battery in the passenger foot-well so it can charge while I have the engine running but not drain the main battery when the engine is off, and then recharge again when driving between locations.

But what happens when I remove the extra battery, will I have to employ a switch to the split charger or should I completely rethink my power requirements and set up.

Please make any replies easy to understand as the "Dark art of the magic smoke" really has put a curse on my understanding of circuits and amps!

ATB

Pete
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 20:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

eithan h

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats pretty much how caravan electrics work so if you remove the battery i.e unhitch the caravan then it will just charge the normal battery as normal, no need for switches
Steve watson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use a 2nd battery when off grid in the caravan have split charge relay for that purpose but have a removable plug 3 way plug on the end of the wires for the battery so it only plugs in 1 way ,on the battery end 2 battery clamps for the post on the battery you can them blue and red which are snap shut clamps
DonaldNZ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd use a voltage sensitive relay [vsr] by BEP marine

3 wires : one ground , one start battery positive, one leisure battery positive.
switches on around 13.2v and off about 12.7v
simple
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: