QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

1997 bighorn 3.1 diesel auto - check trans light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
placebouk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 22:18    Post subject: 1997 bighorn 3.1 diesel auto - check trans light Reply with quote

Looking for bit guidance, already getting some on facebook from people but its starting to niggle in my head.

I have recently aquired a import 1997 bighorn 3.1 diesel auto.
(Wouldnt normally of gone auto but the missus can only drive auto and wanted a 4x4)
The check trans light has been coming on after approx 0.8km after initial start.
Shutting down and restarting seems to work and get rid of it.
If i start up after being stopped for upto an hour or so and go the light doesnt come on. Leave it too totally cool and start then light back after 0.8km.

Although until i have travelled about 10 to 15 km i have noticed that O/D takes a while to select.
Once the engine is hot everything there no issue at all, that i can tell. To be honest i dont really notice the gear changes apart from the revs alters as it changes, most other autos i been in u can feel the gear shift.

I have checked the fluid level, with guidance from some helpful trooper owners on fb.
Have managed 1 day without the light coming on at all. This happened after i had been underneath and had a noisy at where sensors wires where around gearbox. May poked and moved some wires. Didnt look too close at wires so unsure if any damage.

Dont have a km to mile converter fitted.
Speedo needle is steady and working fine.

Any ideas on what i can look at or should be thinking of checking?
Ive been searching the forum for a while now trying to find simular issues to mine but little success, point me to them if i missed a thread tho please.

Regards

Andrew
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 22:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Dartmoor Dave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can only say 2 things from experience.
My trans light only comes on at low revs/idle
My trans light is permanently on at the moment 'cos there is the usual thing with the autobox not changing up to 4th.

I can only say my light has flashed for 10 years and 100k with no problems, fluid level remains spot on.

If only I could fix the trans, I've changed the sender, no go.
placebouk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be getting somewhere with mine...slowly.

Have done complete flush of transmission.
Changed speed sensor ( this was completely fubar!!) Not getting my flash code for speed sensor anymore. Although O/D still not always there untill stop and shut down and restart.
Changed thermostat as my temp gauge wasnt working right.

Looking to test/ change temp sensors on the thermostat housing just to rule them out.
Looking to test /change temp sensor in transmission.

I think mine is an issue with temp sensor or wire as if i let her heat up for 10mins before drive generally she behaves like a dream.
placebouk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

May not saying have and im gonna regret posting this but may have sorted my issue out.

2 days so far no issues and perfect lockup and selection of all gears even from cold start.

Will update in few day wan a give atleast a week of no issue before get my hopes up.
DonaldNZ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you get on ?
I have read that one of the temperature senders on the engine coolant thermostat housing stops the trans from selecting od until it is >50degrees C.
dunno if your model is like this but worth a check with a resistor wheel from your local electronics shop
DonaldNZ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the picture I have of a 92 the tcm control temp sender is on the engine side of thermostat gasket parallel to the water pump pulley
DonaldNZ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

correction prevents torque converter lock up when cold

I have never needed to verify this on my truck
placebouk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry lost login info for long time. Seem to have got issues under control.
Need to overhaul my inhibitor switch as it is preventing OD engaging on odd times.
Other then that all sorted.

Believe main issue was a number of breaks  in wiring loom causing bad signals to the solenoids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: