All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Trooper cuts out and restarts instantly while driving.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trooper482

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 20:37    Post subject: Trooper cuts out and restarts instantly while driving. Reply with quote

Continuing on from a previous topic, my trooper has been into Isuzu dealership to have injectors and etc sorted. I collected it this week and no more smoke billowing from exhaust and she runs just grand..for the first 5-10 miles.

She will then cut out and restart almost instantly(99% of the time), about 6/7 times over a 16/17 mile trip. while reading various posts and the manual there was mention of an o-ring on the crankshaft position sensor, remembering back to when I cleaned mine it didn't have one on it. So I took it out and put an o-ring on it...and now it won't even turn over.

I've ordered a new sensor which will be here on Monday. I'm also replacing both batteries as one is definitely giving up the ghost.

Am I heading in the right direction?

I also now have a tech2, no dtc's stored. Been looking into what the readings should be and I'll compare them this weekend.

Any advice greatly appreciated
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 20:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

eithan h

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be crank sensor so if it's a manual just press the clutch down and see if it stalls, if it does stall then i'd go sensor. it could also be the orps as it has had work done in that area
Trooper482

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I get it to start I'll be able to tell more about what's going on.

Still won't even attempt to turn over at the moment.

Cheers for getting back to me 👍🏼
Trooper482

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, my starter had given up, I have since replaced it and the batteries. She turns over a lot quicker now. It did eventually run as well, took it for a 20 minute drive and again it was cutting out but it was different this time.

It has since become a driveway ornament again. I put an inline filter and primer in place of the factory filter to rule out air ingress, and checked the fuel return line, there is a steady flow when cranking. And have now clamped it to see if it's draining overnight. Oil level was low upon its return from the dealer so have topped that up as well.

I checking the engine speed while cranking, can't remember the exact speed but it was iirc acceptable. (I must remember to record the data or just write things down lol)

Injectors were constantly "disabled" while cranking, is this correct?
In comparison to eithans tech2 screenshots of what it should be doing while cranking, all the highlighted sections are within the necessary for it to start..I believe.

Will check again this week. Oh and easiest way to check the operation of the orps? With tech2 I presume?
Trooper482

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just read one of eithans previous posts, stating that if something doesn't add up i.e. Crank/cam signal, pressure, battery voltage then the injectors won't enable. I will check again while cranking to see if something is a miss and report back.

I read so much on here I get to the point I think I've cracked it...but actually all I've done is confuse myself lol
Trooper482

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more information to go on

I think there may be more than one issue here...

Replaced my fuel filter with an inline filter and she ran like a dream for 2 days. Managed to get it through an MOT and then it stopped working.

Dropped the fuel tank and it was well past it so have replaced the tank and the fuel lines to the filter/and the return.

I hooked up the T2 and everything checked out, good rpm and pressure, injectors enabled, good battery voltage and it always turns over no problem.

And it would sometimes start, and when it does start it runs perfectly and very smooth.

When it cuts out it's like the key has been turned off, there's no coughing/spluttering or slowing down of the revs...it just dies, like it's lost a signal.

And now 9 times out of 10 I can't get the T2 to communicate with the vehicle, then all of a sudden it will work for a few minutes
And 9 times out of 10 it will start and run for a few minutes.

Is there a signal wire from the ignition to the ecu? Or am I way off mark with my thought process now?

If not any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
eithan h

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the small plug at the ecu hasn't got a burnt earth pin
Trooper482

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

No signs of any burnt pins on the connector at all.

Any chance of it being the other end, wherever it earths too?
Trooper482

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update, while trying to get the t2 to communicate, I was in about the wiring on the nearside. Didn't have anything disconnected was just checking there were no bare cables or dodgy connectors, but I'd left the ign on and something shorted in that area, I seen a wee puff of smoke and that was that.

I've blown the 50amp key switch fuse, I'll replace it once I've worked out what caused the short, I'm guessing it may have been in the area of the starter?

Not sure if this will be linked at all to my starting/communication problems or not.

Again any thoughts or ideas are greatly welcomed at this point..I love a challenge as much as the next guy, but this ones taking the mick.
crs4455

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you found the fault with this intermittent non start cutting out?
If not, when the Tech 2 stops communicating, turn the ignition off for a few seconds and then turn back on. Watch VERY carefully to see if the glow plug light illuminates? This could just be for a split second if the engine is warm, or longer if cold. If there is NO light at all and Tech 2 is still not communicating, then it is most likely a fault within the ecu. As Eithan has already mentioned, the terminals in the small wiring plug to the ecu can give problems, but this wasn't the case with the Trooper I had with similar problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: