2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Tyre size question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhyslj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 23:48    Post subject: Tyre size question Reply with quote

Hi all, recently bought a 52 plate trooper duty SWB. It will be used off-road and would like to fit 285/75/16 Insa turbos. Will these fit on the 4x4 as standard? I’ve heard plenty of mixed opinions off people sonthought is join here and ask the people who know best. I do plan on a 2” suspension lift at some point too but don’t want it to be undriveabke up until that point. Thanks in advance
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 23:48    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Bubble-07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max you can go without a lift is 265/75/16. I've not used 285/75/16 but understand that a lift and some degree of cutting to arches is required to prevent rubbing on full lock or when under articulation. Truck is very capable off-road without a lift or bigger tyres as long as your tyres are off-road suitable (i.e. AT's or MT's) but a degree of lift certainly instills a bit of confidence when tackling some of the more serious obstacles.
Rhyslj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the reply. I am still going to be lifting the truck regardless as it will be mostly off road use so it will benefit. I will do a 2” suspension lift and a little cutting if needed, that’s not a problem. Do you know the best place to order a lift kit from please (4 shocks and rear springs)
Bubble-07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're only doing a 2" lift, you don't need to change your shocks as they have enough capacity to cope. For springs, I used Terrafirma TF023v (standard Landrover springs) which are a thicker steel and wider coil than trooper spring and give a +2" lift. Same height of spring but stiffer so the reduced compression holds the truck up - cost..... about £90. You'll need a pair of LR springs seats....... about £12. Wind up the front end on the T bars - job done.
Going much higher needs work to brake lines, steering column, gear lever, ball joints etc and getting the change to the camber corrected can be a bit of a mare.
From stock ride height to +2" using the tf springs, combined with the bigger 265/75/16 tyres lifted mine close to 4" overall.
Rhyslj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks for the reply. I may be able to use standard shocks but I would prefer to use updated ones that will stand up to the abuse a bit better if you know for any?  Nice trick with the springs though, wasn’t aware of this. I will look on eebuygum for these now. Front T bars is 8 full turns for 2” lift isn’t it? Yeah I was told any higher than 2” becomes a lot more work and hassle so I will leave that.....at least for now. That’s a nice bit of lift for simple things. If I get the 285’s that should total roughly a 6” lift then.
Bubble-07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might still get some rubbing with 285's on full lock etc even with +2.

Yep, 8 full turns on the T bars gives roughly 2" lift. Jack the front end up to take weight of the wheels, lube the nuts daily for a week then mark one of the flats with paint to make counting the turns easier. Three weetabix and go for it. Take it for a gentle bumpy run when finished to settle everything in.

Not sure on sources for longer shocks - do a custom search in the box top left of the page, there will be a number of examples in the forum I'm sure - or stick a question on ITOCUK facebook page    

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=isuzu%20trooper%20owners%20club%20uk

Most of the guys on here have migrated over there for daily chat and trouble shooting. Hopefully this forum will continue as the main source of technical info and problem solving though.
Bubble-07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW - 285's and +2" using tf023v springs won't necessarily give you 6" of lift......

245/70/16 are 29.5 inches
265/75/16 are 31.6 inches
285/75/16 are 32.8 inches
Rhyslj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, nothing a little cutting or spacing cant fix haha. Brilliant good tip with marking with paint and also the lubing up. I will have a search now for some longer shocks and also ask the question on Facebook.
Yes I see what you mean. It may not give 6” lift but it will give that little bit more clearance and a wider track. So if I can get them on there then I will.
Bubble-07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhys, just to be clear, the ride height gained from bigger tyres is only achieved from ground to hub so is half the difference of the increased tyre diameter - i.e. 285/75 replacing 245/70 will give 32.8 minus 29.5 = 3.3 inch diameter increase. So the increase in ride height is this scenario is half that - about and inch and three quarters - (in addition to the lift from the suspension).
Rhyslj

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I got it mate, thanks for clarifying
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: