All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

ongoing charging fault 3.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 17:52    Post subject: ongoing charging fault 3.0 Reply with quote

I've fitted a used alternator after mine seized, got it off Dan. It wouldn't charge above 12V so he swapped it, which when fitted was fine, making 13.8 V no load, but...
The batteries drained but found one wasn't holding a full charge so I swapped it, now got 2x 096 HD fitted, much bigger than standard. Things were going ok when I noticed the voltage was around 11V for about 5 minutes, when it then went up to 13.8V again.
I've got a buzzing noise coming from the Blue Relay, so I fitted a new one, made no difference, tried my spare and one off my mates Trooper, no difference, it stops buzzing I'm assuming when the afterglow turns off.
Now I'm driving in darkness a lot more, the charge is barely keeping up, I have to switch everything off for a few minutes to top up the batteries.
One thing I did: I replaced the 2 lucar connectors plugging the white and white/blue wires into the alty for the correct plug. Could I has reversed the wires ? But if so, would it cause the problems I'm having? I tagged the wires before swapping the connectors, but I cannot think of any other reason for this very odd problem!

Could the second alty be acing up? surely I can't get 2 faulty ones... Shocked
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 17:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

eithan h

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

the blue relay is buzzing is because the alt is a non genuine one, it's not doing any harm just annoying and should stop as soon as the engine starts. they all seem to take a while to kick in mine does after a mile or so but then it stays at 13v or so it doesn't drop so i reckon you could have a dodgy alt  especially if it's a used one
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a genuine alty, the second one I've got off Dan.

Its only making full voltage when there's no load on it: so you think its faulty?

I'll contact Dan and see if he will supply alty number 3  Shocked
eithan h

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

if that relay is buzzing is it's aftermarket or theres something wrong if its genuine, I've never known a genuine one buzz the relay
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF its the alt that's acting up, that's 2 on the bounce off Dan that are faulty  Shocked  

I'll get back to him and see if he agrees...tbh I must agree as I've changed everything, that could be faulty.

Why does it take 5 minutes to start charging though? It doesn't build up to 13.8V, just goes from 11V straight to 13.8 as if on a timer, never done anything like this in 6 years. I've fixed a led voltmeter to a cig connector, and when testing with a voltmeter, both are within 0.5V of each other and the dashboard meter is pretty accurate.
eithan h

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be age if it's used parts, bite the bullet and put a new one on and see if it makes any difference
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a brand new one, it was on for 1492 miles then the rear bearing seized solid, it was just over 12 months old so couldn't get it replaced.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: