4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

4x4 light on dash flashing

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:45    Post subject: 4x4 light on dash flashing Reply with quote

Never done this before. 4WD not selected nor was it used last trip. Just started it this morning and the 4x4 light is flashing. When i press the 4x4 button the light shines steady and you hear it click in. Press button again and what normally happens the light flashes until 4x4 has disengaged which sometimes takes moving forwards then decelerating, then it clicks out. Now the light flashes all the time although it does sound like it is disengaging. I will take it for a short trip to see if that does the trick.

Any ideas?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

wilf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question to add to my post above. How do I know if my vehicle has TOD?
It is a 3.0 DOHC 4jx1 2003 Trooper Citation.
wilf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info:
When button is IN and 4WD light is on steady it is in 4WD.
When button is OUT and 4WD light is flashing it appears to be OUT of 4WD - Can it only be in or out, not partial in?

Without engine running with ignition on I can hear the solenoid (if that is what it is) clicking and actuating when I press the button IN and OUT.
eithan h

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like the wires have broken on the 4wd switch on the axle actuator, if it's tod then you don't have the oil pressure gauge on the dash and it says tod on the left hand side of the dash and theres a layout where it lights up
wilf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have oil pressure gauge in instrument panel so no TOD. Is it therefore possible to do damage to the transmission if driven in 4WD on dry roads or is it only a case of increased tyre wear, noise and fuel consumption?

I am not familiar with the 4WD system, where is the axle actuator?
wilf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming the actuator is the small drum shape metal case on the back of the transfer box, what I referred to as the solenoid? It has a rubber hose connection to it which I imagine may be a vacuum pipe.

I have never paid any attention to it when previously switching in and out but just remember a hearing click, now I makes a click and then a noise for a second or so. It may have always sounded like this and I just have not picked up on it.

I cannot see any obvious breaks in the wiring, is there a common point that they fail?
eithan h

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

no you need to look at the front axle for the actuator switch, thats the 4wd motor your looking at on the transfer box. as long as the gearbox is disconnecting which by the sounds of it it is then you can drive with the light flashing, the 4wd system is part time so when it's fixed you can't drive on tarmac whilst in 4wd as it will get wind up due to no centre diff
wilf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your further reply Eithan, apologies for my ignorance. I did wonder if they would be transmission wind up.

Is the 4WD motor on the transfer box literally just to engage or disengage the transfer box?

What does the actuator on the front axle do, it is equivalent to locking the front hubs?

Yes, it is disconnected from 4WD. In fact that side of it works ok, it goes in and out as you would expect. It is just that the green flashing 'tell tail' icon on the dash does not stop flashing when it normally flashes after the button has been pressed to disengage 4WD until the point it has actually disengaged which is generally a second or two.
wilf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no broken wires in the vicinity of the actuators on the front axle. The vacuum pipes look of but if one of these were leaking would that cause the dash light to flash when out of 4WD?
eithan h

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

see if the vacuum swaps over from one pipe to the other when the switch is pressed, you should only have vacuum on one pipe at any time so if you got a vacuum on them both then either the actuators are seized or the the wire has broken inside the insulation. basically the ecu knows your activating the 4wd and it's looking for the signal from the switch on the actuator then it will make the light either go solid or go out depending on what your going in to. it's not seeing the switch trigger so either the switch wiring has broken out the top of the switch or the solenoids have seized or the wiring to the solenoids has broken inside the insulation.
wilf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eithan,

I have done some reading and starting to understand the system. Wires look good going into both VSV's although obviously I can't tell visually if one is broken inside the insulation. I will pull the vac pipes of, start the engine and see if one of the pipes is sucking (not both). If one is I will press the switch and see if one stops and the other starts to suck.
If a VSV is faulty, can they be freed or is it a replacement job?

If both VSV's are ok and the vac pipes are ok and there is suction when and where it should be, what next?
The vacuum seems to operate the shaft locking system which looks like it has an internal piston/diaphragm. If that is correct, can this become stuck or is it highly unlikely?
If it did get stuck would it effect what the 4WD light is displaying?
C.B.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look through this page, particularly the first bit about testing the VSV's and the front axle switch.
http://www.itocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30619
it might help explain some of this.

As Eithan advised, the 4WD control unit circuit is looking at signals so if one of the signals is incorrect (from the 4WD switch, the front axle switch, or the transfer position switch)  it will continue flashing when switched back to 2WD. The cause of that could be a faulty VSV, a faulty switch, a broken wire to these components, a burst vacuum pipe, or if you're really unfortunate the 4WD control unit has a fault (which would probably only be destroyed by something external to it going faulty and is unusual).  If you are testing the VSV's make sure you check the resistance of the coils, the official manual missed that bit out!

Failing that, get a hold of the Isuzu workshop manual PDF and look through the full details for the shift on the fly system - section 4B1-1 to 4B1-37, it does contain a reasonable (but not infallible) fault finding process chart towards the end of the section.   study

good luck!
wilf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you CB.

Have not got to looking at this yet due to poor weather and lots of darkness. I'm outside on the drive you see. Hope to look this coming weekend although now I have another more pressing issue. Last night is would not start (It had only stopped 20 mins prior so engine was warm, air temp -1 degree C) which I am assuming is totally unrelated.

The engine always starts after 2 seconds of cranking, last night it cranked 4 or 5 seconds twice and did not start. It has brand new batteries and was turning over like a good-un. The 3rd. time I tried I pumped the throttle pedal to the floor and off and it immediately started. Was the throttle pump a coincidence I wonder?

It started 5 out of 5 times after that (with a few mins between each start) although apart from the last time, each start took a second or so longer than normal. Apart from replacing batteries last week it has started perfectly since replacing the ORPS in December 2013.

I just tried to start it (first -2 C morning this year) and it will not start, it just turns over well but not life at all. I suppose the first thing is the white wire disconnection to see if it will start. The oil pressure did come up while cranking. Any ideas.
wilf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not managed to look into starting issue yet but have been doing some thinking. I'm thinking possibly air getting into injection system via possible corroded/split pipe. Did some cleaning and waxoiling of chassis a few months ago and noticed a couple of steel fuel pipes that did not look good, one headed off over the fuel tank.
Are there any common places on this vehicle that suffer from this so I can check those out first?
eithan h

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

top of tank and fuel filter primer unit are common causes of air in to the fuel system
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: