QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Starter refit - HELP!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
02Trooper777

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 0:31    Post subject: Starter refit - HELP! Reply with quote

How does eithan - or anyone - fit/reach and tighten the top 17mm bolt and nut on a 4JX1 starter ???
1986 Saab 900 Turbo. '84 Marlin Roadster.
+ motorcycles & '76 Reliant Kitten (don't laugh - it has got 4 wheels)...
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 0:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

wildata

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a lift - with great difficulty, I have used 2 long 1/4" extensions with another short extension at the end. This gives enough wriggleroom and distance to get it when lying on the deck.

No idea how they do it in a Garage, assume 2 guys with the help on the lift.
eithan h

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do it on my own with a windy gun and a chuffing long extension that goes past the back of the gearbox,
02Trooper777

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both. I'll have another go.
gardenman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed mine, repaired it (starter clutch sticking) and replaced it...twice!
Then I bought a used one and swapped it. My Trooper is lifted 7" so I can get right under it, then with every 3/8 extension and very fine toothed ratchet, and both arms at full stretch, I just managed to tighten the git, one click at a time...JUST possible, you need to get your head supported or you will have a very stiff neck...and take your time  Shocked
AND...make sure you don't knock off the vacuum hoses behind the starter, or you will lose the brakes, and have to remove the starter again to refit them
02Trooper777

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success !!  Thanks to my neighbour who must have smaller hands - and definitely a lot of patience.

He managed to insert the top bolt AND get the nut on AND tighten it .... all from within the engine bay !

I subsequently went back underneath and checked/re-tightened [very slightly] the bottom bolt.

Starts a treat now.
02Trooper777

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ref. 'losing the brakes'.

Initially (in the approaching dark)  I failed to reconnect the small vacuum hose on the rear of the dipstick tube.

BIG mistake. It prevents the vacuum building up in the servo - resulting in very poor brakes.

Refitted and brakes returned to total normality.
Browndoff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 16:37    Post subject: Starter-Motor Nuts & Bolts Reply with quote

I've just replaced my starter-motor on a 2002 Trooper 3.0L [all my own fault, tried too long to start the *beep*!]. Anyway - I saw that you too had a problem with the mounting-bolts.

My solution [after MUCH swearing] was a long, flat-blade screw-driver, jammed between the hex-head of the bolt and a 'rib' on the casing of the gear-box - which was just close enough to get minimal grip on the bolt-head. That grip was only-just adequate to stop it spinning long-enough to start the nut on the end of the bolt [with my left hand] and achieve finger-tightness. Once finger-tight there was enough counter-torque to operate the ratchet on the ring-spanner and proceed to full tightening-torque. The hand holding the screw-driver blocks the view of everything else - so its's a terrible job - but doable! BTW - I made it all easier for myself by supporting the WEIGHT of the motor in place, with a cable-tie caught under the solenoid-body [released after the mounting-bolts were fitted].

All this was achieved with the oil-filler-tube removed, of course, and reaching downwards into the engine-bay. IT IS NOT easy to reach down and it's bloody difficult even to SEE the head of the upper bolt - but it IS possible. The lower nut & bolt are also a pain but MUCH easier [from underneath] - I even managed it without the Trooper jacked-up on axle-stands.

Good luck!
02Trooper777

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks browndoff.

Cable tie clip is very handy.

(My starter was 95% in place because I had managed to put the lower/easier bolt in first from underneath)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: