4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

My 3.1 Irmscher Project

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Readers Drives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gambit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 18:07    Post subject: My 3.1 Irmscher Project Reply with quote

This is my new project i hope to have running as a daily for the winter.Its a 1997  Isuzu Trooper. :smiles:

This particular 4x4 like most other 19 year old 4x4s has seen plenty of hardship and a smell of neglect.Its been parked since 2012 in Listowel Co Kerry..The brakes were non existent due to a back drivers caliper leaking brake fluid.All warning lights were up on the screen display,Battery (alternator belt slipping) Brakes (leaking fluid) etc.There was also plenty on dents and scratches on every panel and a large nasty on on the rear piller,windscren cracked,wing mirror broke,casing on bull bars cracked,spotlight missing,numerous electrics not working etc Tracking a mile off,tyres shot all around.It also looked like it hadn't been washed or cleaned inside or out since it was new.The big concern for this was rust which eat into the rear chassis legs but this was completely solid underneath.

I made an offer an it came for the right price so i clamped the rear brake hose with a vice grip and headed for home :lol!:

This particular model is a 3.1 bighorn jap import which was originally a 7 seater 4x4.To tax it in the republic was 1809 euro a year so almost all were converted to a commercial 2 seater van which is much more sensible tax rate of 333 euro per year.

Spec is

Driver and passenger fishnet recaros.
Both Driver and passenger are heated seats.
Momo steering wheel
Irmscher decals
Large panoramic tilt and slide sunroof (currently not working)
4 electric windows
Wipers on headlights
Central locking
Air Con
Electric and heated fold in mirrors.
Digital display altimeter,voltmeter and compass (currently not working)
Rare 5 speed manual transmission

So as you can imaging it was a pretty cool 4x4 in 1997 and i aim to bring her back to her former glory.The seats were also a large positive,they usually have bolster foam staring you in the face but these were not only both heaters working but the seats were in mint condition,i can only assume they must have worn seat covers all the time.

I am firstly going to get her driving,all new belts,filters,fluids ,tyres/ wheels etc.
Iam then hoping to take advantage of a loop hole in the current system by fitting rear seats and belts and getting the 4x4 re-classed as a crew cab.When the rear seats are fitted the boot load area is within the parameters of a crew cab and the vehicle can then be re-classed as one.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 18:07    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

clyde

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good project, shame about the tax issue!
gambit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its insane in Ireland to have to pay 1800e a year road tax just because you have rear seats.But as i said this loop hole currently exist to reclassify the trooper as a crew cab and keep the more reosnable 333e annual road tax ree makes it worth doing
gambit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big update on this,the following is pasted from a different site and dates so appologies if it rambles in places.

Update on this,going slower than i like but getting there.

Big service

Alternator belt
2 fan belts
Air con belt
Oil filter
Air filter
Diesel filter
Back right caliper
2 new rear brake discs
Pair of rear pads
Engine flush
Radiator flush

Pretty good value for 250 euro

I did a  job on the brakes ,i took off all calipers and  freed them up,regreased them,cleaned discs up and pumped fresh dot 3 brake fluit through them all.Have a good pedal now.
Used a radiator flush and and cleaned out the plumbing system several times including the pipes going into the heater.

Dropped the sump because of a bad oil leak and resealed it.adding 6 liters of 10w 40.

Took off the intercooler and washed it out,i bought car plan engine degreaser and used it on the bay.My first time using engine degreaser and i was happy with it.
I bought a 5 liter tin for 24 euro as a 1 liter is 12euro (which makes no sinse)
You spray it on with a bottle and work  it in with an old paintbrush and leave for 10 mins before power washing it off.I repeated this a few times.

Next i did a fully strip down for rust proofing ,interior panels off for waxing ,bull bars ,side steps, bumpers off.
Looks pretty mean without them ::

Into the shed

I then spend several nights wire brushing and cleaning underneath,even found a chassie stamp

Rust wise  was mostly good news,back bumper renforcment bar was shot and seems to be a real weak point in them,iv ordered a new one from Isuzu.

Underneath ,i wire brushed off 20 years of mud and surface rust and thankfully as was solid bar this spot near the towbar.

I cut it off and a fabricator make welded in fresh metal.

Brushed down

I used a dinitrol rust converter on the underneath,light coat of waxoil after i pumped the doors and chassie rails,,all was looking lovely until i used this sh*t dinitrol 445 stonechip product to finish it off

http://www.rust.co.uk/dinitrol-stone-chip-and-sound-deadener-440-445-all-sizes-from/p497377

It went on like tar,way too heavy and almost impossible to stop running.I but the bottle in boiling water ,i adjusted pressure on the compressor but it was no good.

It reminds me of schultz years ago because by *beep* you could hide a dead body under this *beep*, nct testers heart must be broke from it.
Ideal for hiding rot,unfortunatly the hours of hard work i put it will not be seen

and thats it up to the Xmass break,i hope to D.O.E it in the first week of January once i put it back together.Its going to fail and tyres and some bushings,there is also a bad pull to the left that i feel is more than tracking but ill let those guys tell me what wrong.

Unfortunatly the crew cab loop hole is completly closed off to everything since 1st Nov but doesnt make a huge difference  as its just as handy to me  with no back seats.I had rear seats ,belts etc in the same pattern as the front seats lined up in the uk but its not to be.

gambit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up a Lotus edition steering wheel

Wipers were all flaking so i sanded them and painted the matt black.

Also found the fuse for my electronic compass,barometer altimeter and (handy when i need to know  my altitude above sea level Smile )

I had a good think about what alloys wheels to put under it,i didnt want anything to flashy or aftermarket so i the end i went for these 16" alloys off an Isuzu Dmax

and these tyres Smile

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Mud-Terrain+T%2FA+KM2

Iv gone from a 245/65/16 up to 265/75/16 on the mud terrain.The biggest i can go under bighorn arches without lift.

Dont worry i have two more ordered for the back Smile
gambit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up a Lotus edition steering wheel

Wipers were all flaking so i sanded them and painted the matt black.

Also found the fuse for my electronic compass,barometer altimeter and (handy when i need to know  my altitude above sea level Smile )

I had a good think about what alloys wheels to put under it,i didnt want anything to flashy or aftermarket so i the end i went for these 16" alloys off an Isuzu Dmax

and these tyres Smile

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Mud-Terrain+T%2FA+KM2

Iv gone from a 245/65/16 up to 265/75/16 on the mud terrain.The biggest i can go under bighorn arches without lift.

Dont worry i have two more ordered for the back Smile
gambit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update for the last 6-8 weeks,ok so the trooper  started to develop a power  issue.Would be find for a day or two and then wouldnt start.The batterys just wouldnt have enough juice.I  was getting a 12v reading accross each battery when running,but unless you have 13-13.4v she is going to leave you down i learned.
This was a particular ball ache as it has two sizable diesel batterys and most normal cars wouldnt have enough in them for a jump start this ,so i resulted in me having to put a charger on each battery overnight for a while.

These power prolems seem to be a real achilles heel on the 3.1 and the internet is full of issues/advise.The  problem lay lay two fold partly with the original  trooper alternator (which is *beep*).I replaced it with this upgraded 80 one on eebuygum with a 2 year warrenty.

The second problem was the alternator belt,another notorious problem for these yokes.The belt i fitted before Xmass had become loose or streched so much so that it had nearly worn through my bottom rad hose.

The problem is the alternator  belt every motorfactors in the country lists to fit is 17 x 1040 this is incorrect and a much tighter one is needed.

This Meyle  17 x 1025  is rommended in the owners forum and only costs 10e delivered

http://www.eebuygum.co.uk/itm/MEYLE-V-Belt-AVX17X1025-1025mm-x-17mm-Fan-Belt-Alternator-/360970021448?hash=item540b7d6a48:g:f30AAOSwQupXWe7y

You have to loosen the bottom pulley to get it on but the effort is  worth it.Sine i had it in 6 weeks ago it hasnt missed a beat,the dash voltmeter now sits on 13v constant and my headlight are dramatically brighter as is my dash lights.

There was a constant timing belt light lit on my cluster so while in there my mechanic  added a new blueprint timing belt kit.

The timing belt light is still on my dash and to remove it means getting the cluster out and moving a screw at the back which counts it to the next 60k belt interval.

Isuzu key off eebuygum

Picked up a clean pair of genuine wind deflectors.

These are medium size of the 3 genuine isuzu tyres avialable and imo the nicest.The big ones are huge!

Have a constand noise coming from the rear diff since i had it and changed the rear diff oil in hope more than expectation to cure the problem but no difference.

What ever clown that had it before me put engine oil in there and ruined it.It was like tar coming out.You can put 10w 40 in the engine and gearbox but not the rear axle only LSD 80-90 oil
Next job will be to change it if i can find another live axle and replace.

I then turned by attention to the moon roof which also never worked.The switch open/closed two neutrals so wasnt the issue.

The problem lay further back,much further back.

Sunvisors ,mirrors,grab handles ,trim all had to come off to remove the full lenght headlining to see what was happening.

The problem was the sunroof control unit itself as i bypassed it with 12v and sunroof sprung into life.
A sunroof on these troopers in a rare thing so i was luck to find a 50 euro replacment on eebuygum.Plugged it straight in a perfect now.

Gave the headlining a good clean with auto glym foam when off.

My wife got me this as a Xmass present.An Alpine Ida media player.Iv always liked the alpine range and what i like about these is the ipod cable comes out the rear so you con leave your ipod in the glovebox and have no cables hanging out front.

Unfortunatly the more powerful head unit only highlighted how *beep* the 20 year old jap speakers were
So I saw a thread on direct replace speakers that fit exactly into the pods and bought these for 50.

Reception on the radio isnt great because this 4x4 uses a built in aerial in the back two rear quarter windows so i may put a new external aerial on.
More to come including a full paint correction (i love a challenge Smile )
gt-nick
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOU DEFFINATLY gave yourself a challenge there... its looking good gambit keep up the good work it will be worth it  

thumbright
d12
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a nice chrome ladder look great on the back , do you a good deal on it , also spare cv joint for the bighorn ,
d12
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throw up a link for that isuzu key blank ,,  looking for one for years
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome.

Question. Do you know how this is wired in and where does the probe/sensor go to:

I have one to install Very Happy

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

gambit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for late replys.

@Rhangar sorry dont know much about mine,looks standard in the irmschers.

A little update on progress.

Removed the four window strips off the doors which are prone to corrosion.

Isuzu corrected his in the facelift trooper by making them chrome so no rusting.

however chrome wouldnt suit this so i got them wrapped matt black by Pro Image Signwork who also tinted the back half of the 4x4.

I also got around to fitting my interior wood trip.

Before as stereotypical and drab  as a jap 90s 4x4 gets.

After,its not German quality but its a nice space to be,in fact i love the room ,the gadgets and the storage.

I also fitted the genuine Isuzu roof rails which took some figuring out but are a very clever jap system.Its involves  removing the roof strips and finding factory silicon filled holes for each of the 3 brackets on either side.
The rails themselves  are then  tentioned off these brackets by using a long allen key.

The clutch slave cylinder was weeping and replaced,again showing the signs of a car thats been parked up for some time.

I also fitted a replica safari snorkle which came with a handy cutting template

A the same time i also fitted a bosch external aerial because the factory one is built in to the rear quarter windows and is *beep*.I needed a din to iso aerial adaptor from halfords to connect to my alpine headunit.Recption through the new speakers is perfect now.Although its actually a roof aerial i had same on my two previous DC2s and i think  pretty cool.

As she currently sits

gambit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little update on progress.

Removed the four window strips off the doors which are prone to corrosion.

Isuzu corrected his in the facelift trooper by making them chrome so no rusting.

however chrome wouldnt suit this so i got them wrapped matt black by Pro Image Signwork who also tinted the back half of the 4x4.

I also got around to fitting my interior wood trip.

Before as stereotypical and drab  as a jap 90s 4x4 gets.

After,its not German quality but its a nice space to be,in fact i love the room ,the gadgets and the storage.

I also fitted the genuine Isuzu roof rails which took some figuring out but are a very clever jap system.Its involves  removing the roof strips and finding factory silicon filled holes for each of the 3 brackets on either side.
The rails themselves  are then  tentioned off these brackets by using a long allen key.

The clutch slave cylinder was weeping and replaced,again showing the signs of a car thats been parked up for some time.

I also fitted a replica safari snorkle which came with a handy cutting template

A the same time i also fitted a bosch external aerial because the factory one is built in to the rear quarter windows and is *beep*.I needed a din to iso aerial adaptor from halfords to connect to my alpine headunit.Recption through the new speakers is perfect now.Although its actually a roof aerial i had same on my two previous DC2s and i think  pretty cool.

As she currently sits

gambit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm images are massive.

I copied them off another forum where they were perfect size,can anyone tell me how to resize them here and ill sort it?
gambit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]https://i.imgur.com/ky3hwDb.jpg?1[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/k

[img]https://i.imgur.com/ky3hwDb.jpg?1[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Readers Drives All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: