2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Whats gone; head gasket or turbo?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oli

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:57    Post subject: Whats gone; head gasket or turbo? Reply with quote

Hello, this is my first post here,

Having some severe engine problems with my 2.8; the symptoms are a lot of exhaust smoke, oil squirted out onto underside of bonnet, rough running on idle, slight chuffing noise and a lot of oil being forced out of somewhere (possibly dipstick tube).
I have been told is probably the turbo, but the rotor doesn't feel loose (from the intake end) and there is no oil in the tubes between the turbo outlet and inlet manifold (just black soot).
Could it be the head gasket?
If not any other ideas? When it happened I lost power at around 70mph with my foot on the floor..
There is a small chance I could have slightly over filled with oil..

Thanks for any help,
Oli
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:57    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

WILLIE13

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:16    Post subject: head or turbo Reply with quote

hiya mate, when you look into the turbo is there oil settled in front of the rotor Question . there should be slight traces but not a small puddle.
Oli

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:34    Post subject: Re: head or turbo Reply with quote

I don't recall there being any, but I will check this afternoon.
What should the rotor feel like when being turned by hand? Should there be any resistance or should it spin freely and smoothly?
Thanks,
Oli
markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could also be broken piston rings, this could cause lack of power and the back pressure you describe,
Oh and do check the oil level just incase it is overfilled Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies,
I thought it might be the piston rings, but I guess I'll find out when I take the head off.
Today I disconnected the turbo and ran the engine. No oil coming from the turbo, still lumpy on idle and still lots of smoke from the exuast. The turbo is totally clean and dry, and has no play at all so I think I will assume it is ok for now.
siweb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad It sound the same as what mine was doing m8, back pressure
1st thought is ring, but with the age of the engine the liners and piston may also be worn, are a combination of all of them.

However mine also had other engines problems.

Is it smoking like this?

http://www.itocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3278

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gday, If there is oil being forced out of the dipstick tube then that means the crankcase is being pressurised.

This is normally caused by severe combustion blow-by past the piston rings or one of the combustion sealing rings has been breached on the head gasket and its open to one of the oil return passages back to the sump.

Was there any sudden knocking when this happened? If so, then the culprit may be a piece of ring land has broken away from one of the pistons or the rings them selves have broken

Also, if the crankcase breather is plumbed into the air intake (Positive crankcase ventilation) then there will be a lot of oil going through the turbo which will explain the blue smoke. ( I presume its blue)

Remove the breather hose from the intake line and start the engine, if the crankcase is being pressurised then you will notice a positive pressure from the line and also it may pulse in time with one of the cylinders if there is a definite combustion fault.

Cheers mate
Roscoe
dani4JB1T

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

another engine with similar symptoms over here.... Sad
dani4JB1T

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manual say put new head bolts after remove stock ones...that is necessary ??
kindwarf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:31    Post subject: head bolts Reply with quote

Idealy it is necessary to use new head bolts because when you do the final torquing up, there is a built in springiness for want of a better word that stretches the bolt to get the final tension and old bolts have lost that springiness and will not hold the head evenly and may snap if you try to tighten them a second time.
dani4JB1T

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmhhh....yes...now you say it, sounds pretty logical. I wonder if the GM spare shop here at town has the set of these head bolts. Im going to ask them tomorrow in the morning, hope they don`t be too expensive.
If not ...oops

thanks
Roscoe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting comment about the head bolts.

Normally, If its the type of bolt that is designed to stretch, it will have a 'waist" on it. That is, the shank (non threaded portion) will taper in slighty then back out prior to the threads.

If it is this type of bolt then its critical that they get replaced each time because they may not shrink back to their original length when removed.

Another very important point is, when stretch bolts are tourqued up, they normally use the "Torque turn" method. This means that the bolts are torqued up as normal in 2 or 3 steps then the final step is a 90 degree turn of the bolt. Its this final step that actualy stretches the bolt.

Always check with your dealer or workshop manual if you are not sure.

Ive struck this on many trucks that I have worked on but not sure about smaller engines.

Cheers
Roscoe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: