All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Possible Head Gasket. Blowing water out of rad cap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Other Trooper queries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yettitracker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:48    Post subject: Possible Head Gasket. Blowing water out of rad cap Reply with quote

Hi Guys, here's a puzzle.
2000 3.0 Trooper Duty. 185k on the clock, the head was replaced some 30k ago and all has been fine until now.
The water pump went a few months ago and was replaced by my local garage and I have no idea what coolant/anti-freeze they used. All still seemed fine until the cold weather set in. This is the wife's motor, we have two, and nothing seemed wrong until the heater was noticed not working. On closer inspection, the heater hoses, both of them, were blocked with what seemed like crystalised anti-freeze. Hosed the pipes and heater matrix out and heater now works.
The radiator cap looked like bits of rubber had been cut off, so new rad cap.
Symptoms: Fill the system and the coolant blows out the overflow pipe into the overflow tank. When refilling, squeezing the top hose starts a quite long gurgling process and the level drops quite a bit.
I have a vague recollection of being told in my teens, 40 odd years ago, never mix different anti-freeze. This motor spends most of it's time in France. Over there they use a yellow coolant, which the wife probably put in, over here blue. So, do any of you know any possible side effects of this mix.
From the normal symptoms of water out of rad cap I would say Head Gasket. But as the heater pipes were blocked could there be a blockage somewhere else causing this. Also Injector Seals etc. To this point, as far as I can seen, No oil in water and no water in oil. Just clean water, no antifreeze at the moment, blowing out of rad cap.
Just to make things worse, it's just passed an MOT with just a few advisories.
Any help on this one would be appreciated as I don't fancy stripping the head if that's not the problem.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:48    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

eithan h

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

i normally find head gasket issues about 150k which yours would have been spot on for at the first head swap then after that it's other issues but if they used a non genuine gasket then it's chances are you need to do the gasket again, these engines don't like after market stuff. also i think yours is to old but if it's a euro3 then it could be the egr cooler gone as this will give head gasket symptoms and if it's sleeve seals gone it will be putting diesel in the coolant and you may end up with coolant in the fuel tank as well.

if you got a euro2 engine then it won't have the cooler so check for the diesel and if theres no diesel then do the head gasket but use genuine stuff through out
yettitracker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even better news. I flushed the system again this morning and decided to pop over to the local shops. 1 mile down the road on a slight incline, lost all drive. Managed to crawl home on the flat at 3mph in 1st with clutch slipping badly. I can only assume that it's the Dual Mass Flywheel gone as the clutch was done at the same time as the head. Priced the bits up at Milners, £872.40 inc. vat for Head Gasket kit, Bolts and complete clutch. I know you all will say get genuine parts but a quick guide is sometimes useful.
Now the big decision, repair or scrap. The problem is, what can I get for the price of repair. Probably another vehicle with worse problems...!!!
This one was first registered May 2000. I can not find any info about Euro 2 or 3.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Other Trooper queries All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: