QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Faulty Diagnosis

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Browndoff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 17:21    Post subject: Faulty Diagnosis Reply with quote

HELP!!!!!

I'm going crazy [well, more crazy!]. I've been having a 'reliability' problem for quite a while with my 3.0L LWB - sudden cut-out [will restart], sometimes hard to start, sometimes starts but won't answer the throttle AT ALL! Recently had to take it for NCT and it actually stopped during the test! A really kind tester guessed it was an intermittent fault, so he allowed me to juggle the THROTTLE cables and re-start it - bless his heart! Since then it started only once and 'hunted' horribly between 550 and 650 RPM - would NOT rev up and then died-out.

So, I replaced the TPS and, assuming the ORPS was 'dying' too, replaced that today. Rebuilding the engine, I expected it to take ages to generate enough oil-pressure to start but, NO, it started after a total of 20 seconds of turning-over. It ran VERY smoothly at about 700 RPM [at least 10 minutes] but ignored the throttle completely. I stopped it and it restarted immediately - no throttle response.

I read page after page of advice given to members who had a problem with the ORPS and MANY of the symptoms seemed to fit my Trooper - so I was convinced that replacing the ORPS would solve all my problems. Now it will start quickly but NOT REV UP.

My basic diagnosis must have been wrong - or, at least, did NOT cover ALL its faults - HELP!!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 17:21    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

pighauler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds a bit like the symptons I had when the pick up pipe snapped the bracket and dropped into the sump, might be worth putting the extra 2 ltrs of oil in the engine to overfill the sump to test
wildata

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Would agree with Pighauler, definitely try + 2 litres of oil.

Wildata.
Browndoff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!

Really, though, it's now starting first turn of the key and running smoothly at about 700 RPM. I left it running at tickover for over 10 minutes - no problem and it restarted immediately when I tried it. It would hardly do that if it wasn't reaching adequate pressure in the oil-rail....?

The current ongoing problem is NO RESPONSE AT ALL to the throttle. Literally - there's no change in RPM, no change in engine sound - nothing AT ALL! I'm worried that there might be an electrical fault in the Fly-By-Wire system.....?
Mike Rosie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out the accelerator pedal sensor and associated wiring back to the ECU.
Have you got a tech 2
Browndoff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike Rosie!
I Think you're right. Today I took off the Accel Pedal Assy and tried to check the output voltage on the signal wire [white]. Zero - and it didn't change when I moved the pedal! Removed the sensor and reconnected it to the control-circuit. Then I COULD get a variable output-voltage!

But - most importantly - when I started the engine, it ran smoothly at about 700 RPM - but though the sensor-actuator was being turned by hand, it had NO EFFECT on the engine!

There MUST be a fault in the loom between the Pedal and the ECU - or, horror of horrors, within the ECU itself. I really hate electrical wiring problems!!
Mike Rosie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a temperature input on an ECU fail before, it was the oil rail one.
It ran with a fault but I had to replace the ECU in the end,with a secondhand unit.
If you go down this route mind and get a complete ecu/keys/imobilisher package.
Hopefully it’s something else.

Mike
Browndoff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm concerned that there MIGHT be a dodgy link in the wiring-loom - but today I got a clear solid link from the Accel-Pedal-Sensor back to the ECU - WHILE the engine was running. The three major connectors were connected to the ECU and the two connectors were connected to the AP-Sensor [though it was detached from the pedal assembly].

So, I was able to get the steady 5V from AP-1 [red] and variable voltage [when I moved the AP-Sensor] from AP-2 [white] AND from the other end of the white wire at J2-25 at the ECU. That variable voltage is supposed to rev up the engine - but it had NO EFFECT.

Why didn't it rev up the engine? I thought that was all that the 'Fly-by-Wire' system needed....?
Mike Rosie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may unfortunately be that the ecu input has failed like it did with my temperature input.
If you can get a tech 2 on to it you should be able to see exactly what’s going on
Mike Rosie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked my old post and when I had my issue I had no 5 volts supply to sensor, so that’s a bit different to you.
You really need a tech 2
Mike
Browndoff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, Mike! No Tech-2 at present - I'll have to test the circuits individually.....

A friend [a GREAT mechanic - but NOT a Trooper expert] suggested that my 4JX1 might be 'SET' on IDLE by a fault in the loom or the secondary unit within the AP-Sensor, which is the Idle-Switch.

According to the Manual's wiring diagram on 6E-75 [p1968], a green/red wire is linked to the ECU at J2-8 [12V?] and the second wire [same colour?] is directly linked to EARTH. It seems that the J2-8 should be a LIVE wire when the Accelerator-Pedal is 'untouched' and ZERO volts when the driver moves the pedal. When the sensor is moved with the engine running, clearly it should speed-up the engine - but if the Idle-Switch is meant to be a safeguard against a 'runaway' engine - maybe it COULD prevent the sensor-movement from accelerating the engine if it was wrongly earthing [or NOT] the J2-8 lead in the ECU....?

Anyway, today I plan to check out the electrical connections to the Idle-Switch and whether, or not, it's behaving as intended.
Browndoff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Idle-Switch over-ride the Accelerator? I.E. if the Idle-Switch is NOT reacting properly to movement of the AP-Sensor, it might keep the engine at tickover despite the pedal being pressed…? The Wiring Diagram at 6E-75 [p1968] shows that the Idle-Switch [on the AP-Sensor] is connected by a green/red wire to J2-8 and by a black wire [with a green spot?] to earth.

With ignition ON and the Idle-Switch lead disconnected from the Accel-Pedal-Sensor, the ECU terminal J2-8 shows 12.08V [current full battery voltage]. When it’s connected, J2-8 shows about 0.25V – which shows that the Switch is CLOSED to earth when the accelerator pedal is untouched. When it’s connected AND the sensor is moved, J2-8 shows 12.08V again – which shows that pedal movement OPENS the Idle-Switch. With the engine RUNNING, J2-8 shows 0.3V with the pedal untouched and 13.6V [generator Voltage] when the sensor is moved – but on my Trooper this movement DOES NOT affect the engine speed! Something ELSE is still wrong with the engine-control system!
Browndoff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dear friends - I have to apologise - the problem since the replacement of the ORPS WAS ALL MY OWN FAULT!!

I remembered that I had disconnected some cables [just for ease of access] when I was changing the ORPS – what if I had NOT reconnected them PROPERLY????

So – I pulled the plug out of the MAP-sensor and re-inserted it, jiggled the cables attached to the ROPCV and made sure no other connection was visibly loose ….. then I restarted the engine and moved the AP-sensor – the bloody engine revved-up immediately – as if the problems had all been in my imagination!!

I re-assembled the Accelerator Pedal unit and took the beastie for a spin - perfick! Happy Days!!!

Thanks again to the patient help of ITOCUK forum members!!
Mike Rosie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep done that sort of thing before.
Good that it’s sorted and was an easy fix.
Browndoff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, Mike!

The real worry is that this could happen to ANYBODY! Without any sensor or 'important' part of the vehicle going faulty - an owner can be plagued by serious fault symptoms - which are actually just due to the old age of our vehicles!

Loose connectors [making poor electrical contact], hardened old cables breaking inside the insulation etc. - producing 'proof' that some part has become faulty - when in fact it's just ACCIDENTALLY disconnected!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: