2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

4jx1 engine oil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dafydd Wynn Williams
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:40    Post subject: 4jx1 engine oil Reply with quote

Hi All,
Speaking to Morris Oils of Shrewsbury, whose oils I have used for many years, since API CD 5/30 oil is now an out-dated and unavailable grade they reccomend a CST TS 10/40 engine oil for my 2000 4jx1 which has now done  just over 10000 miles. They say that  whilst another spec 5/30 oil is availabe it would be greately over specified and inappropriate for a 20 year old engine and oil grades have moved on.

Any thoughts from those of you who know more about oils than I?

Dafydd.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

eithan h

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

its more about viscosity for the 3.0l they don't like 10/40 in the winter as it can lead to longer starting times and lack of throttle response  until it gets some heat in to it. personally i'd rather have an over specified oil knowing it's more than capable of handling the pressures it will be subjected to
troopermatter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

5w30 is what Isuzu recommends anyway and I can tell eithan wouldn't put anything else but that in a 4jx1.

We, 4JX1 owners should bear in mind that this engine was ahead of its time. I have a Merc E220 CDI from 2005 and the manual recommends 5w40. It's all to do with technology really to my very own opinion.

I ave owned 3 Troopers so far, a import Honda Horizon 3.1 auto, a UK spec Trooper 3.1 manual and the one I've now which is the 4JX1. I used 10w30 in both previous 3.1s and those engines were simply amazing, never failing anyway as long as they were well maintained. My actual 4JX1 is a 2003 (53) model auto (made in 2002 as per the spec), and from experience, the 3.1s were far more reliable. What I've learnt with the 4JX1, which I've owned for nearly 4 years now, is that if - and only if - they are maintained to the highest standard, they can be as good as the 3.1 if not better. This engine gave me hard times with lots of breakdowns on the road. But it was only a matter of worn critical parts but suprisingly easy to replace. I'm talking here about the ORPS and the ORPCV. If these two bits are at the top, this engine is really one of the best engines ever. OK, I had a few other bits but these are the ones one should really look after and replace along with the injector seals and sleeves... My Trooper has no less than 168,000 miles on the clock, just hit yesterday and it still pulls like a train. Only three months ago I thought it was dead... This engine is magic! Fingers crossed Smile

So back to the point, if both mentioned ORPS and ORPCV are OK, the only oil grade that would perfectly make them operate at the top is the 5w30. I'm talking from experience as I did use the 10w40 grade in hot Morocco weather in July / August 2018 and I think this was the reason I had consecutively ORPS and ORPCV failures. At least, this grade contributed to failing these parts quicker than they normaly would. I assume this is one of the reasons Isuzu insists on using the 5w30 oil.

I've now been able to fix my Trooper and poured new 5w30 GM dexos2 engine oil and since I cleaned (without stripping appart) the ORPCV, the engine starts straight away with absolutely no hesitations at all, no misses whatsoever. And, unlike before fixing the ORPCV problem, the oil pressure light now goes off right away whereas it used to stay on at least 60 seconds if not more before then. And the 5w30 GM dexos2 is designed for GM/Vauxhall cars and the 4JX1 Trooper belongs to the GM family. On top of that this oil is one of the cheapest in the market. I've just got two 5L cans for less than £35 from Germany. It's advertised at less than £22 at a-m-a-z-o-n .co.uk... If that can help....  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: