4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

4JX1 engine is driving me mad. Failing to start again...

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
troopermatter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

ORPCV removed.. Put a thin screw driver inside the "trumpet", pushed as hard as I could but nothing would budge. So, because I already ordered a new one, I decided to give the screw driver a good knock with a hammer (the orpcv and screw driver facing up). After a few good knocks, I pushed the screw driver by hand and it now moves freely back and forth and I can feel the load of the spring. While pushing back and forth the screw driver, some oil is sprayed out of a hole at the end of the tread just by the O ring. Should I assume that the ORPCV is now fully functional as the spring wouldn't move at all before having to use the hammer? If so, should I just put everything back together or should I wait for the new part to come, bearing in mind I lost the "hat" somewhere in the engine bay as it dropped when I tried to remove it. Sorry for writing long papers but don't know how I could be clearer if I don't  Very Happy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 18:21    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

eithan h

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fact it was stuck in the first place means it's had it in my view so would need to be replaced anyway or it will do it again
troopermatter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

eithan h wrote:
the fact it was stuck in the first place means it's had it in my view so would need to be replaced anyway or it will do it again

And I think you are absolutely right 100% because I carefully inspected it and it seems to have already been removed as I can see spanner marks on the 29 mm "nut". So while waiting for the new part to come (about 3 weeks) i'll give it a try and see if that bl**dy engine starts up. Will update... Many thanks
troopermatter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
Well, I guess I have good news so far... ORPCV cleaned without dismantling. Tip: the OPCV piston was stuck solid and spring would not move no matter how much force I'd use to push it down. So because I'd already ordered a new one, I though well, why not try and move that spring by giving it a big smash with a hammer? Anyway, if it's stuck, then it's gone... And if it's gone, doesn't matter if it breaks under the hammer! But the bloody thing is so solid that it didn't even break! And the hammer "trick" worked very well. Spring could move back and forth so I sprayed the OPCV with a good lubricant until it was cleared from whatever dust and dirt was inside. I poured some clean engine oil to lubricate it even better, sprayed more lubricant and left it over night. Yesterday, OPCV was fitted back nicely and after several attempts the engine fired and reved as it should after a little while, while oil pressure was building up. So engine definitely started and the problem is now sorted. But that's not the end. Because there's always a "but"...

The several attempts to start the engine killed the... starter motor. So today, I managed to remove the starter and ding! RIP starter, it's gone! Already got a used one from eebuygum and now awaiting delivery to France from UK. BTW, I have an auto and couldn't find a recon one using the part number from Isuzu and the used one I got is exaclty the same and bears the same part number. So I guess I will keep the old one and get it repaired from a reputable workshop across the border in Belgium (I live 2 miles away from Belgium). So this is the update so far, will come back when new starter is fitted and hopely Trooper will start on the button!

So while I fully agree with eithan that a failed ORPCV does need to be replaced, I recommend that while waiting for the new one to come, it's probably better to give the spring loaded piston a good knock or two with a hammer before trying to strip it appart as it would save you precious time and eventually rule out the ORPCV!

Thanks to all!
troopermatter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 0:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

Used starter received in the morning from UK, found edge that links to the gearbox was slightly bent... Thankfully the gears were OK so I put everything apart and used my original starter casing instead. Tested the strater and it appeared to be fully working. Fitting the starter back didn't seem too hard and it was a straight job.

Using jump start leads, Trooper started first time but I could hear a huge metal grinding noise coming from round the gearbox / flywheel area (to my ears anyway). Check engine light came on so put it on Tech 2 and had codes P0193 Rail Oil Pressure Sensor Circuit High Input and P1196 Rail Oil High Pressure Warning.

Started engine again and same huge noise... So I checked the injector plug by the dipstick and noticed the ORPS connector was loose. Had the idea of putting a hard piece of electrical wire (about 1.5 cm long), connected plug back and bingo! After clearing the DTC codes engine started spot on and the grinding noise stopped gradually until disapearing at once. Warmed up engine until it reached the normal running temparuture at 80° (checked with Tech 2). So engine was idling perfectly as it should.

The automatic gearbox scared me though. Gears would not engage whatsoever and I thought it was gone. Put it in 'D' and car would not move nor in 'R'. So thought of engaging the transfer case lever into 'low' and put in 'D' and car jumped forward. Don't know what happened but the normal drive postition was back to normal again and I could move the car forward and backward with the transfer case lever back in its normal position.

So all in all Trooper is now back on the road with a "cleaned only" ORPCV which I hadn't stripped appart but only banged with a hammer. New ORPCV not received yet, so will run the Trooper just as is and see what happens in normal driving conditions. But I'm quite satisfied as engine seems to run very well, has a good sound  and car drives faultless now.

One last thing I should mention is I had lots of dripping oil underneath the vehicle but it soon stopped... I'll keep an eye on it but all seems to be OK so far. Fingers crossed  Smile
troopermatter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge thanks to ivcho.vd and eithan!

Thank you guys!  Very Happy  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: