QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Rear Brake Slider pins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 21:42    Post subject: Rear Brake Slider pins Reply with quote

In the manual they refer to the rear brake caliper slider pins as 'Guide bolt' (top pin) and 'Lock bolt' (bottom pin) but I cannot see which one has the 3 flats along its length and which one has no flats. Can anyone tell me which goes where?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 21:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reality, as long as they are lubricated (with silicone or high melting point grease) it makes no differnce to the operation of the brakes.
The idea of the pin wth the flats is that when you remove the other pin to swivel the caliper to alow for removal of the pads, the swivel action causes the lubricant on the pin to be dispersed a little.
Thats why they refer to taking out the bottom (lock) bolt and swiveling the caliper on the top (guide) bolt.
Given how these pins are prone to sieze in position, for how long it takes, I allways remove and lubricate BOTH pins.
You may well find that someone has fitted a second hand bolt  which did not have the flats.
As I said, as long as they are well lubricated you will have no issues.
Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reality, as long as they are lubricated (with silicone or high melting point grease) it makes no differnce to the operation of the brakes.
The idea of the pin wth the flats is that when you remove the other pin to swivel the caliper to alow for removal of the pads, the swivel action causes the lubricant on the pin to be dispersed a little.
Thats why they refer to taking out the bottom (lock) bolt and swiveling the caliper on the top (guide) bolt.
Given how these pins are prone to sieze in position, for how long it takes, I allways remove and lubricate BOTH pins.
You may well find that someone has fitted a second hand bolt  which did not have the flats.
wilf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malcolm wrote:

Thanks for that explanation Malcolm. I have got the right ones fitted and I always put them back as I find them. I too remove both pins to remove pads and regularly too. How about the front sliders, one has a rubber seal on the end, do you know the reason for that?
wilf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say, I use CeraTec grease, it last well.
Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know the reason for that. Glad to see you DONT use Copaslip. Its amazing how many people, garages included, still lube the slider pins with the stuff.
wilf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

thumbup
02Trooper777

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilf wrote:
thumbup

I use a silicone grease (bought a 3/4 full tin for 50p at a boot sale - then  later discovered it retailed at £83 per tin !!)

Got a vague feeling the bolt-heads were stamped "G" and "L" ….
1986 Saab 900 Turbo. '84 Marlin Roadster.
+ motorcycles & '76 Reliant Kitten (don't laugh - it has got 4 wheels)...
02Trooper777

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copaslip is brilliant in the right place. Refitting slightly rusty bolts (are you listening Edd China?).
Exhaust bolts etc.
1986 Saab 900 Turbo. '84 Marlin Roadster.
+ motorcycles & '76 Reliant Kitten (don't laugh - it has got 4 wheels)...
wilf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

02Trooper777 wrote:
wilf wrote:
thumbup

I use a silicone grease (bought a 3/4 full tin for 50p at a boot sale - then  later discovered it retailed at £83 per tin !!)

Got a vague feeling the bolt-heads were stamped "G" and "L" ….

Can't say I noticed or looked but will look next time. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: