All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

4JX wont start (again)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dafydd Wynn Williams
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:20    Post subject: 4JX wont start (again) Reply with quote

Hi All,
Once again my 2001 102k van is testing my resolve. Hadn't used it for about 3 weeks, coz i'm 'shielded and confined to home for yet another 4 weeks or so in Wales, went to start motor yesterday and engine check light didn't come on when unlocked button pressed on ignition key fob as it usually does. No sign of firing up and no white smoke so assume no fuel being allowed through.  White wire connected or disconnected makes no difference.

It was starting reliably in recent months, but markedly lacking in power, as reported elsewhere, since last trouble in January after replacing fuel filter.

I'm stuck here now, with a dead motor, though it's served me well, not without problems, for 15 years, so shouldn't be too bitter. Wish I was closer to Eithan who has helped so often in the past. Sadly there is no one to turn to who has knowledgeable experience with Troopers in North Wales.

Is this likely to be an economically viable problem to cure, or is it time to call it a day?

Dafydd
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:20    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure Eithan will be along soon. HAve you kept the batteries charged fully during the time the van has been stood up.
For some reason the brake light fuse seems to be in my mind for a non start but I may be wrong. Have a search on here, its not easy I know because I struggle searching on here too.
Hopefully you wont have to give up on her. They can be challenging when the decide to play you up, bet when they are good there is nothing to touch them.
Take care and stay safe.
Dafydd Wynn Williams
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Malcom

Thanks for reply, I'll look for the brake-light fuse tomorrow, you never know.   Yes , they are new batteries (Dec 19) and I put a trickle charger on if car or tractors are likely to be out of use for more than a couple of weeks.

There are 2 Isuzu franchises in North Wales, both about 40 miles distant from me. One is an embarrassment to Isuzu's reputation which I am baffled as to why Isuzu accepted them, and the other is a relatively late appointment, post Trooper, and handles Rodeos.

Dafydd.
Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever get round to changing the fuel filter anf filling it before starting. Just read your old post but never sys wether you eventualy got another filter or not?
Dafydd Wynn Williams
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Malcolm,

No I didn't get another filter, but took the point about the different shape in the tops as I still had the old original? Isuzu filter.  Found that I needed to unscrew the bleed screw quite a long way to expose the groove in the threads in order to bleed the filter properly. I had been unscrewing just a couple of turns previously which was why I couldn't get any fuel to show when using the priming button.

After doing that it went back to starting reliably, but as I said has been constantly down on pulling power.

Checked brake lights this morn, all OK, so disappointingly  the non starting is not down to a blown brake light fuse.  Hope I may get other suggestions.

Dafydd.
eithan h

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the check engine light come on with ignition?
Dafydd Wynn Williams
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eithan,

No, The small top window is blank after turning ignition on, and remains so.  Of late the 'CHECK ENGINE' has been on continuously, whereas following the starting problem arising from the renewal of the fuel pipes from the tank to the filter last December the CHECK ENGINE light would show depending whether the white wire was connected or not. Initially the engine would only start if the white wire was disconnected, but then decided it would start connected or disconnected, and it as been behaving normally, with wire connected, for the last few months.

Sorry about long 'explanation' but there didn't seem to be any rational behaviour pattern. Hope you can make some sense  out of this.

Dafydd.
eithan h

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the check engine light doesn't come on with ignition then thats a sign the ecu has gone
Dafydd Wynn Williams
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eithan,

Thanks for the speedy probable diagnosis.  Sounds like an expensive item?   if ordered from Isuzu is the replacement something I could do myself or would it involve commissioning,which would be beyond me?  Getting it to the only 'local' Isuzu dealer I would expect to fix it is a problem in itself.

Or should I cut my losses, she's a 20 year, old done  102k, and has needed a fair amount of welding to get through the MoT in the last 3 years, so the future is not bright.

regards Dafydd.
eithan h

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

most people buy an ecu kit from eebuygum or a breakers and swap it all over its a lot cheaper or else it's £2k upwards for an ecu from isuzu which then has to be coded with the vehicle info
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: