QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

4JG2 EFI crank/cam sensor issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr57757

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 14:35    Post subject: 4JG2 EFI crank/cam sensor issues Reply with quote

Its a 1996 Isuzu Bighorn Auto Japan Import.

Recently it was having some trouble starting up (it does crank but does not fire up). I've done some googling and turns out the cam sensor was faulty. CHECK ENGINE light flashes once & stays on before starting and I definitely heard a click somewhere near the fuel pump (probably the fuel solenoid) which cuts off the fuel causing it not to start up.

So I decided to take it out and tried finding a new or used one but unfortunately the shop does not have it and they had to order it. While waiting the shop to phone over, I've cleaned the connections and even the sensor itself. I've also tried testing whether the sensor is faulty or not by using a multimeter and it does somehow produce a weak AC voltage when I tap (lightly) it repeatedly with any metal with magnet. I could be wrong, but maybe I wrongly diagnose my sensor by tapping it?

I thought maybe the dirty connections were the issues since I tested the sensor and it does produce some voltage so I tried putting it back together and the vehicle starts right up.  Question

But then after leaving it for about few days, the problem came back again. Kept cranking but not firing. I decided to tried forcefully starting this thing up by :-

1)preheating it up first
2)turn the key back from ON postion (can be ACC or OFF)
3)turn the key to START as fast as possible & pressing the throttle simultaneously.

And it finally started up. Released the throttle and idles fine. Weird. I turned off the vehicle again and tried start it back up, now the problem is gone  Rolling Eyes I could start it up normal without hesitation. No CHECK LIGHT flashing or anything. I'm assuming the sensor now requires like 1200~rpm just to produce a signal? Bad sensor I think, but it seems to occur only on cold startups. Once the engine runs, it'll start/stop just fine.

I know this method will be probably unsafe and obviously not a permanent solution. But I actually found out that the ECU probably checks everything before starting and if it detects some error from any sensors, it will cut off the fuel solenoid and show the CHECK ENGINE light. To bypass this, I just immediately turn the key over before it detects error from the sensor and cuts the fuel off.

If anyone does experience this, do share your thoughts and I might just learn something  Very Happy I'll probably replace the sensor anyways but before doing so I'd like to know if there's anything that I might miss while doing it because, replacing the sensor is such a pain  Evil or Very Mad and I really don't want to do it just to end up the same exact problem.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 14:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: