4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

3.1 Starter Replacement - How to

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wez

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 20:28    Post subject: 3.1 Starter Replacement - How to Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just swapped the starter out on my 97 3.1 TD manual.

This isnt a definitive guide, others prob do it differently, this is how I did it, might help someone else.

starter has two bolts with non-captive nuts on the back. (all 17mm heads)
the live cable to the starter is held on by a 12mm nut.
the solenoid wire is a flat screwdriver with a 7mm hex around it, so either/or.

1. remove the live(s) from the batteries (10mm nut)
2. disconnect the rubber pipe half way down the dipstick holder (just a finger squeeze clip)
3. remove the 12mm bolt holding the dipstick tube. the bolt is just under the EGR 'crossover' pipe.
4. carefully manipulate the dipstick tube towards the wing/battery.
5. put a ring spanner on the top nut holding the starter in the engine bay.
6. slide under the truck, 17mm, extension bar and your biggest ratchet... undo top bolt while keeping one hand on the spanner so it doesnt slip off the nut, or fall off or hit you in the eye lol
7. retrieve spanner and nut.
8. do same for bottom nut (you can get access from the nut underneath so you dont have to get back out from under)
9. starter should now be loose. working from above, slide it about a bit to get a visual on the starter wires. disconnect them (the screw for the solenoid feed only needs to be loosened, not totally removed.) remove the main live too.
10. wriggle, jiggle and bend pipes, tubes and other stuff out the way till the starter is out. I also bent the heater matrix pipe slightly to make access a bit better. moving the dipstick tube massively helps.
11. put replacement starter in, wriggle jiggle etc lol
12. check to make sure you havent dislodged anything (connectors on fuel pump/pipes etc)
13. connect up both the wires to the starter. put rubber boots over the connections. make sure washers are used on the main live terminal.
14. both starter bolts and nuts can be fed through and nipped up with your fingers from above, a little bit fiddly, but easier than doing it on your back.
15. get your spanner and ratchet with extension... back under the truck and tighten the two nuts/bolts back up.
16. from above, bend dipstick back where it should be, put the 12mm bolt back in, put oil pipe back on dipstick tube.
17. connect lives back to batterie(s)
18. start it up - go look at all the pipes you had to rive at to remove the starter from the bay and make sure they're all ok.
19. scrub all the black clag off your hands/arms and forehead lol

might be easier if there are two people, one underneath, one holding the ring spanner from above. I had no bother but can see how it could be easier with two.
I did it in the dark (with a torch on my phone) in about an hour on my own, i could prob do another in half the time.

hope it helps someone.
sorry if its been covered before.
1997 LWB Trooper 3.1TD Citation - N288LAG - Gone, never forgotten
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 20:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

d12
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's tuff job for today ,, practically impossible to get 17 on bottom nut , but it's out now after 27 years and 370km ,they don't make them like they used to
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: