4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Bearing Adjustment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clive

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 20:31    Post subject: Bearing Adjustment Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Can anyone help, I’ve just received an mot advisory on my 2000 Trooper 3.0L with shift on the fly.
It does not have abs.

1/  There’s slight play in the bearing/s on the nearside front wheel, can this be tightened up by shifting the position of the lock washer and lock screw item 5 on page 4C-9 of the manual?

2/  Will shifting the position of item 5 tighten both bearings as there is an inner and outer one?

3/  Will I need any special tools ie. 5-8840-2117-0 for the hub nut as shown on page 4C-10?

My thanks to anyone who can help

Clive
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 20:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never used any special tools when I had to adjust mine for MOT. Just tighten up the nut the minimal amount you need to to to take up the play and refit the locking washer.
If the locking washer does not locate flip it round 180 degrees. If you still have no joy then just the bare minimum of tightening until it does.
Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have said, I used a punch, old screwdriver will do at a push (we don't all have the special tool) and hammer to tighten up the nut. Its only got to take up the play so no need for mega blows with the hammer. You shouldn't damage anything.
Clive

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Malcolm

Thanks for the lowdown, I'll do as you said and just nip the nut up to take the play out.

Have you ever replaced the bearings, just asking as in the manual it talks about using a spring scale to check the preload.
I was thinking if ever I had to replace them, why not just tighten the nut until there is no 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock rock in the wheel.
What are your views?
Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I have never needed to replace the bearings. If I did, I would just go "Old school" as you suggest and just nip them up enough to take out all of the play.
Then after 500 to 1000 miles check and adjust again as they would have bedded in. I would imagine the Pre Load is probably to allow for bedding in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: