All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

3.2 Petrol Monterey - Sticking Hydraulic Tappets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
signetone

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:24    Post subject: 3.2 Petrol Monterey - Sticking Hydraulic Tappets Reply with quote

Sticking Hydraulic Tappets on one side.

I have flushed and changed the engine oil, after trying a product for this problem from Halfords.. I now have Mobile one oil in, to clear the problem. It's only the one side - the other is fine. It has been like this since I bought it, sounds like a diesel. Only do short trips and none at high speed.

The oil pressure seems fine, under the 85 mark.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks

Brian
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

shyster

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian are you sure its the tappets , if it sound that bad it may be the same problem as i had on my 3.2 trooper which was a faulty automatic timing belt tensioner .
THE QUIET ONE

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

im glad to c some petrol troopers on ere
yes that could b one problem but if u dont get it hot enought
the flush might not of worked
try wynns tappet fluid asdas do it for £3.00
does the noise sound like a growl or is it ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
also check spark plugs for right gap and heat range for that this also sounds like tappetty sounds i had that problem once it was my plugs

mk1 2.8 ex skippy
mu 3.1 xs turbo
bendy bus
SCUM RUN 2010
signetone

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

spike wrote:
im glad to c some petrol troopers on ere
yes that could b one problem but if u dont get it hot enought
the flush might not of worked
try wynns tappet fluid asdas do it for £3.00
does the noise sound like a growl or is it ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
also check spark plugs for right gap and heat range for that this also sounds like tappetty sounds i had that problem once it was my plugs

Hi Thanks

It's the ttttttttttttttttttttt's and it's from the top of that side of the engine [RHD - passenger side]. I have changed the plugs and before putting in mobile one did try Wynns fluid and then used flushing oil. I have not had the vehicle that long, the oil was very dirty on purchase but I did not think the noise was as bad then. I did think when the vehicle was going up say 30 degree slop, that the tappet noise stopped just for a fraction!

I was hoping that it would cure itself - it sounds like a diesel!

Thanks Again

Brian
Philp

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

A leaking exhaust gasket can also make that sort of taptaptap kinda noise, it did on my V8, worth a squint to see if theres any soot marks or if you can feel a blow around the manifold.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Chris01

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does this intermittantly as well, strangely it gets worse after an oil change then gets better after about 500miles. You need to get it warm, sit on the motorway at 90 for half an hour, that'll fix it Wink
signetone

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris01 wrote:
Mine does this intermittantly as well, strangely it gets worse after an oil change then gets better after about 500miles. You need to get it warm, sit on the motorway at 90 for half an hour, that'll fix it Wink

Hi Thanks

Put in Mobile one - it's a bit of a drive to a motorway! Mid Wales here, back lanes and bendy 'A' roads'. Longest journey so far was 8 miles, then a bending 'A' road. I hope the tappet noise will go - I was hoping it would just clear one day - I was hoping it would not end in a top end strip. Think the previous owner must have done little servicing - the oil was black and needed a flush. The tappets on the one side have got louder with the clean oil but the power has increased also!

Thanks All

Brian

Any more comments would be appreciated.
kindwarf

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:06    Post subject: tappet Reply with quote

This seemes to be a common problem Mine does it for a about 20 second s on starting then quietens but does not completely go away I'v tried an aditive and I think it done some good, mine was illtreated before I got it and I dont think the oil was chainged regularly or the right grade of oil used Ive only had it a few monthes gave it a full sevice with right oil ect I will run for 3000 miles and change it again and see if it gets better.
Chris01

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're all wasting our time, this engine seems to do this anyway, i've had mine 7 years and 80K miles and it s always done it. I have changed the oil very 5K, the noise just comes an goes. Strangely now at nearly 140k its quieter than ever.

I think the answer is ear muffs or pretend its the diesel, but don't bother stripping the top end, it'll just be money down the drain.
KENM

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are u sure youve got hydra. taps. Most of them are shimmed n no amount of flushing is gonna cure that. Ken
sgarre13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our 1996 Monty taps like a good 'un also. I tried the Wynns tappet fix stuff but to no effect. I spoke with an oil expert I know he suggests flushes and tappet fluids are a waste of time anyway. Best to use the correct grade of oil and change regularly. He did suggest using a API-CH4 truck oil (MB Sprinters use it also) since the detergency on those type of oils is very good and lasts a long time because your average heavy truck goes for a lot longer between services, but keep well within the 10000mile interval. The detergency level helps to clean up the tappets in a more gentle way and keep the crud suspended and dispersed in the oil, unlike a flush which is basically toluene and a light oil which would flush it out, only for it to get stuck as a coagulated lump in your oil pump relief valve, and then BANG no oil pressure. I would like to know what measurable benefit sticking a coke can's worth of toluene into your engine for 10mins, as opposed to using a decent oil for 400 engine hours, actually gives you.

At the moment I'm sticking with a decent Semi-synth and 5000mile or less oil change interval. Noise died down after the last one but is coming back again now so due for another change.
Chris01

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isuzu reccommend you use Mobil-1 0-40W as the fix for tappet noise, its a bit too expensive for me, so I just put up with the noise which isn't too bad on mine and comes a goes a bit.
sgarre13

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just done another oil change with 10W40 Semi Synthetic, no flushing just straightforward drain for 20minutes and refill and new Fram (badged as Halfords) filter. Noise gone right down from the tappets. Engine sounds sweet as a nut. Very Happy

Also took the opportunity to fit a Fumoto drain valve. Seems to fit and work a treat.

Another change in 3 - 4000miles or when I hear the tapping again I reckon.

No need for Mobil 1.
Peterjday

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3.2 hydraulic tappet noise has been the subject of more than one previous thread.

Isuzu issued a bulletin that explained both the problem and the cure, and you can find a reference for the bulletin to download from the web and a text only transcript if you read the previous threads.

Briefly, the problem is build up of "varnish" from degraded oil in the hydraulics that cause the tappet piston to stick; (and sometimes the oil pressure relief valve[s]).

Recommendation is to use Mobil 1, and if that fails, to strip and clean (procedure described in the Isuzu bulletin). Don't expect a miracle cure. If it has taken 10 years to build up, it might take a year to break down and cure. I went down the Mobile 1 route as recommended and it does work, but it takes a long while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: