2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Loud noises

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamelle

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys,

I was back at work last night. Can I assume from what is being said that what I need to do is stop driving in 4WD (which I have done), get my hub checked in the hope that it is that causing the noise and see what it is like in 2WD. Surely if there was some major damage it would be more apparrent or am I just wishful thinking?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 14:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

markymoan

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres nothing wrong with hoping for the best Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, only drive in 2wd on the road. Make sure the hubs are unlocked, and keep your fingers crossed Smile

As for major damage. If it is to the transfer case you won't know until you use it in 4wd. Remember though, only on a loose surface Exclamation

To check the front axle on any surface: Engage 4wd, move the car forward apx 2mtr than stop. Switch to 2wd and do not allow the car to move backwards. When you move the car forwards again you will be turning the front axle. If you hear some bad noises, it's dead Crying or Very sad
To finish the test: keeping in 2wd move the car in reverse apx 2mtr and listen for the hubs unlocking, should be small clicks.
Good luck Wink
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
Jamelle

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To check the front axle on any surface: Engage 4wd, move the car forward apx 2mtr than stop. Switch to 2wd and do not allow the car to move backwards. When you move the car forwards again you will be turning the front axle. If you hear some bad noises, it's dead

Tried the above, albeit at a relatively slow speed and over a short distance, and didn't hear anything that worried me.

I then took it for a drive in 2WD up and down a farm track which is about 1/4 mile in length. I didn't go any faster than about 20 mph and didn't hear anything again.

Quote:
As for major damage. If it is to the transfer case you won't know until you use it in 4wd. Remember though, only on a loose surface

How will I know if there is any major damage to the transfer case?
markymoan

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like all is fine Very Happy
when you get a chance go to the farm track and spin the wheels in 2wd (not to harshly) engage 4wd, drive forward a few feet then try to spin the wheels again, you will notice the difference, and know if 4wd is ok.
Just remember to reverse in 2wd to unlock the hubs (leaving them locked wont damage anything in 2wd, its just to save fuel really)

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Mark says, try it in 4wd on some loose ground. Stop the car & engage 4wd. Move forward a couple of metres and listen for the clicks as the hubs lock. Then drive as you want while on the loose. Remember to reverse when you go back into 2wd to unlock the hubs. You will increase the loads in low range and now is probably as good a time as any to find any probs there may be Smile
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
markymoan

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt be suprised if the noise was the hubs slipping under load, saving a lot of money Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hubs may well have been slipping due to the wind up, when mine slipped (due to being knackered) they were very loud. It may have damaged the axle splines though and you may find the hubs will slip when in 4wd under load i.e. on a hill.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Jamelle

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all the replies. Very Happy

I've not tried out your suggestions yet as the farm track, although quite rough, is a bit of a hard surface. I would rather find some slippy mud somewhere.
The really strange thing is, I'd been moaning to my son about this (as well as your good selves) so I said that I would take him out and let him hear the terrible noise in 2WD. Guess what......No noise, even at high speeds (60 mphish). Smile
I was feeing a bit better about things when we got back so we decided to check the engine over. Guess how much oil was showing on the dipstick?.....................All I can say is Isuzu's must be damn good engines but anyway thats a post for a different forum. Is there a forum for lunatic buys Isuzu without even checking the oil? Embarassed
Steam Hound

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto hub problem - I think the first thing to do is to check the free wheeling hub internal assembly for end float to the drive shafts circlip, too much end free play will cause the noise which was fist said in this post.
The correct end float is zero to 0.3mm. Thats 0.012" in english Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: