All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

JONKEM---SHAFT MOVING OUT FROM HUB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishertrooper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:43    Post subject: JONKEM---SHAFT MOVING OUT FROM HUB Reply with quote

Hi Jonkem,

Had a look at hubs and as you said, I was able to catch the end of the shaft and pull it out about 4 or 5 mm. As I said, I had a mechanic look at it and he replaced a hub, but when I checked both hubs myself, I noticed there was 3 washers or little spacers between the hub and the circlip on the shaft on the left hand front wheel and only 1 washer on between the hub and the circlip on the righthand side. How tight should these be? I also notice when I drive it in 4wd off road and with the pressure or load on, there is a constant whistle comming from the front axle some where.
Thanks alot Jonkem. your the man.

best regards

Surprised tony
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jjcymru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

the spacers are to take the play out of the locking hub.

axle noises are normal, a whistle isnt a problem

ensure your gaiters are complete and not split

also ensure your wheel bearings/locking hubs are greased enough.

More importantly ensure your axle has plenty of oil!
eithan h

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

as above they are shims and you can get all different thicknesses from your dealer
jonkem

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main purpose of the shims is to pull the 2 halfs of the seal together where the driveshaft enters the upright and also keep the hub back. Without the seal the needle bearing in the upright dies in double quick time due to water ingress (no big deal really). The water will also get into the wheel bearing via the back door and you know what will happen then!

From memory the clearance between hub face and circlip should be between 0 and 0.03mm. Shims are avaliable from 0.20 to 1.0mm. Don't think I have ever had to use more than 2 thin shims and have a tool (homemade) to pull the shaft so the shim & circlip can be fitted because it can be that tight to close the clearance. If you have 4 - 5mm of play with shims on already it sounds like it needs investigating further Confused

As in the other replies, small noise from the axle is fine but I think the car is quite new to you so probably change the oil as a matter of course. I only worry about the front axles when the broken bits of diff smash through the casing, but I very rarely use 4WD HIGH Smile
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: