QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

How do I reduce body roll?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ayfour

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 0:09    Post subject: How do I reduce body roll? Reply with quote

I use my 96 Bighorn 3.1 deisel (Jap import) mainly on the road as a load carrier and towing vehicle.

I get a wee bit concerned about the amount of body roll when cornering, and my loads tend to slide sideways damaging the goods and the truck! Crying or Very sad

I have been given two kinds of advice:
1. get the springs taken out, heated, and lowered.
2. replace the shocks
Confused
Does anyone have any independent advice as to the best way to improve the handling of the beast? I'm not after sports car handling, but just something that is more road friendly given my uses.

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Cheers
Kevin
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 0:09    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lynn Johnson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

try slowing down a bit Wink
jocten

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ayfour,
Having changed from a Granada to a 93 Bighorn I have found it to be a different beast,ie, when cornering, straightening out the road, and accelerating out of the bends. All of these things the Granada did well. The Bighorn on the other hand needs a little more TLC. However it is an exceptional tow car and load carrier. Incidentally, mine has four tie down points in the load bay. T T F N, Jocten
nate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 15:14    Post subject: body roll Reply with quote

Very Happy hi there.

DO YOU GET ANY JUDDERING OR VIBRATION WHEN TURNING OR SLOWING. IF SO THEN YOUR SHOCKS MAY BE ON THE WAY OUT. IF SO MILNER OFF ROAD ARE OF GOOD VALUE.

TEL 01629 734411

MAYBE YOU CALL THEM FOR SOME ADVICE.

GOOD LUCK NATHAN.. Smile
garyq

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

changing to stiffer shocks would give good results but of course harsher ride. Laughing
Paul Rainbow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gas shocks will help a lot. I would check the set up as mine does not roll that badly at all - nothing like my old Land Rovers for instance. Sounds like your suspension is a little tyred to me.
more x 4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

shocks,springs and anti roll bars should be uprated,also all bushes replaced with poly. this will stop it wallowing but the ride will suffer Wink
or as someone said,slow down Shocked
Philp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the major cause of roll over accidents in 4x4's is new 4x4 owners trying to drive em like a car, this is why the Suzukis SJ's got an undeserved bad reputation back in the 1980's. OK, you can lower the suspension (although I'd get proper lowering springs/shocks not heat the original ones as that can lead to coil bind) New shocks and bushes will help as will a stiffer anti-roll bar. Finding a rear anti-roll bar will make a big difference too. The main thing is a big 4x4 like a Trooper has a higher centre of gravity than a car and will always lean more than a car, slow down on the bends!

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: