2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Oh Pooh, chassis horrors

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 14:21    Post subject: Oh Pooh, chassis horrors Reply with quote

I was underneath the Trooper today cleaning up the fuel tank mountings before I put the new tank in and noticed a couple of small holes in the chassis around the bump stop. One prod later and it's all looking right horrible and holey, most definitely an MoT failure so now I've got to plate it up. I will have to also build a new bump stop mount as well and to get to the inside have to move the brake load compensator valve out of the way (hopefully there'll be enough play just to ease it back a bit so I can get the grinder in to clean up. This is assuming I can get the mounting bolts undone after 15 years of off road mud, they're soaking in plus gas at the moment. The passenger side also needs a smaller patch.

Not what I was hoping for as it means I'm gonna have to spend time on this rather than the truck.

What thickness of steel should I be using to plate this up with? I have some 1.2mm sheet but I guess thats a little thin for a chassis, particularly as it goes around a tubular crossmember and takes the bump stop.

Drivers side

Passenger side

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 14:21    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

wayneh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would use 3mm(10g) mild steel, you can get a 8'x4' sheet for about £45 (plus 17.5% for gordon brown). 2.5mm(12g) or 2mm(14g) would be ok but for a few extra quid go for the 3mm 8)
large

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

not looking to good there mate but good luck with it
Philp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I was thinking 3mm was probably the way to go with maybe 2mm for the bump stop bracket so I can bend it up myself. I have some box section thats just the right size for the centre section of the bump stop. Where do you get your steel from? Good job I've just rented a big bottle of argoshield!

Philp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the bump stop is now cut off, I've started cleaning up the chassis with the grinder, I've managed to wrestle four of the bolts that hold the load proportioning valve onto the chassis off afet much swearing, cut one off that holds the bracket off but can't for the life of me get to the last bolt, once thats off the way is clear to get the grinder in and to clean it up ready for welding. I need to dig out my dremel and cut this last nut off but I couldn't be bothered to go rooting around the cupboard for it today so I'll dig it out in the morning. I haven't got the steel and won't be able to get any until monday anyway, but at least I can get it all prepped and ready to go..

jonkem

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be very careful with the proportioning valve support plate Philip! They gate as rotten as the chassis and is also a failure Sad

I just got one from a 3.1 as the 2.8s was too rotten to refit.

I used 3mm for the plates and 4mm wall box for the new crossmember. Also 4mm angles to strengthen the joints.

Also while you're down there poke into the the legs inside the top shock mounts.
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
siweb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used 3mm galvanised U channal we have at work to weld on the chassis. and the same was used for the new sills as well Laughing which also act as rock sliders too Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's already been heavily plated around the area and the top shock mounts are good, I think they couldn't be bothered to cut the bump stops off and repair under em so just left them crusty under a coat of underseal. The valve mount doesn't seeem too bad, I just can't get at that last stupid nut and bolt, the one tucked away on the crossmember mount. I'll be giving everything a coat of POR15 before I reassemble it to give it some protection and inside the chassis will get some Hydrate 80 rust convertor followed by some wax once patched. All the bits normally inaccesible when the tank is in will get painted/waxed.

Philp

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got the last nut and bolt off and the valve bracket is pretty reasonable, it'll get a wire wheeling and a coat of rust convertor and a paint before it goes back on. This is what it looks like now, cut the bump stop off, neatened up the hole, ground it out, wire brushed and flap wheeled it as clean as I can. Theres one corner up in front of the tubular cross member thats a *beep* to get to with the grinder, tried a 4.5" a 4" and a wire brush in the drill, it's as clean as I can get it but it ain't brilliant.

Philp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some 3mm steel plate this morning and cut the first plate out (the bottom of the chassis) it's welded in but it seems I'm gonna have to plate the outside as well as the middle third has just blown away even with the power turned down its so thin. This was the first go with my new big bottle of gas and auto headshield (thanks, you know who you are!) and it went well apart from the fact that welding in long trousers, long sleeve shirt, boots, gauntlets and headshield in 30 degree heat isn't much fun. Got to cut out the next one for the outside and then the big inside plate. Pics to follow soon.

Philp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's coming together and the weldings getting better too. Got a plate on the underside and one on the outside of the chassis, both good and strong if not pretty. Theres a little more fettling to do on the inner side before I can get a patch on there but I'm not far of having this side finished. There is a hole at the front of the underneath but that'll be covered by the new bump stop carrier.

Underneath

outside

markymoan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could allways practice on my rear cross member Laughing
Looking good though Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've got quite enough to practice on as once this side is done I need to do the other side. That doesn't look too bad though as bits of it have already been plated. It might just be the underside and the bump stop. Whats up with your rear crossmember?

markymoan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just taken this lay down under the back

But the rest has been done and undersealed

Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the cross member on mine with a length of 5 mill 4x3" box.

Sleeved it to the shackles.

A bit overkill, but it was carelessly left around at my old work place Laughing
Suckin' Diesel Baby!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: