Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

2.8 engine problem - HELP !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oakland Rob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 23:08    Post subject: 2.8 engine problem - HELP ! Reply with quote

Hello People, just joined the club in the hope that someone can help me sort out a running problem i have with my 2.8 td trooper that is driving me mad.
The engine starts first time, every time (as they all do) BUT - has hardly any power and going up hill means a change down the box and black smoke out the back after 2,500 revs, even on a flat road if you floor the throttle it just doesnt pull and the smoke starts about 3000rpm, the funny thing is (or not so funny at the moment) is on a really cold morning when i press the quick engine warm up switch on the dash its back to its old self and pulls like a train for about 30 secs, then back to normal, no power.
I presume the smoke is unburt fuel which is either the turbo playing up or the timing is out (too far retarded) but why when i press that bloody switch does it run as good as gold for a while.
Sorry its bit long winded for a first topic/question but im really having enough, any help will be gratefully appreciated,thanks
Quote:
if it aint broke dont fix it
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 23:08    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

:::Matski:::
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had a look at the turbo?
Suckin' Diesel Baby!

Oakland Rob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep and it seems fine, someone who borrowed it for a while filled it up with petrol instead of weasle, i drained it all out and blew all the lines through but it just has never been the same, every now and again it will be ok but only for a few secs, i know its something simple but i just cant find it, i,ve put up with it for a year and now i,ve had enough.
Quote:
Philp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm prepared to bet if you are using that engine quick warm up switch that one of the flaps is stuck. There is one in the inlet tract and one in the exhaust. What happens is they get sticky/rusty and jam shut thus strangling your engine causing exactly the symptoms you describe. You may have to dismantle the inlet/exhaust to free them off manually and in the futre I'd steer clear of using the switch. This is exactly what this thing does, half strangle the engine to make it labour and thus warm up quicker. You shouldn't really need to use it in the UK (and it should only work below 5 deg C ambient temperture) I just crank the revs up wih the knob next to the steering wheel and leave it on a fast idle to warm up for a minute or two.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Oakland Rob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Phil, where abouts are they on the exhaust and inlet, i,ve had a quick poke around but as yet havnt got the spanners out. Is the exhaust one just below the Turbo ? Also how do the bloody things work, are they run off of vacumn or solenoids or both ?
I,ve found two small what i think are solenoids next to the fuel filter housing, one blue, one green, are they anything to do with it ?
Presuming it is these flaps playing up are they easy to sort out, sorry for all the questions but my patience has worn well thin, i just want my motor back to how it was.
Cheers Rob
Quote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: