QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Bio diesel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davehodge999

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the one .as far as i know it would be 700 quid if you return the tank thing after .might be a deposit or something .i just collect mine in 25 litr barrels and return them.i think theres a place in blackburn chris b if you wanted to try it
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 15:13    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

:::Matski:::
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:
Ive done some digging and found this, but is it classed as oil or food?

Quote:
oil being distributed onwards, and for oil being refined.

It will be distributed onwards, into my tank Laughing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame I can't lift a cube of oil into the back of the trooper though.
markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you put any thought in how to move it when you get it home,
Because my brain cell had the idea of 2 tanks and pump it from one to the other.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought about using bio- diesel myself,and using pure veg oil,60/40 split.asked the question on a caravan forum i use, this reply came back. thought you might like a read.

Hi,

As your friendly UK representative to the Europe CEN TC19 committee - we set the standards for European motor vehicle fuels and we have oversight on lpg, petrol, diesel, and bio-fuels.

Please don't confuse vegetable oil with bio-diesel. True, bio-diesel is made from veg oil by a fairly simple chemical process that (hopefully) any chemistry student could understand and follow - and if you go down this route - just be careful - the reagent chemicals will blind you if you get one drop in an eye (wear safety glasses and have an emergency eye wash on-hand). But nothing that you can't learn.

Vegetable Oil
It is almost impossible to cold-start a modern diesel engined car on pure (cold) veg oil - kits are available to bulk pre-heat the veg oil or start on diesel and auto-switch to veg oil once the engine is hot (like a LPG powered petrol car which starts on petrol then switches over) but these are reasonably expensive.

Burning veg oil in a car will require more frequent service intervals and unscheduled engine strip downs to remove the gummy deposits caused by burning the glycerol backbone of the veg oil molecules. This is the stuff that causes gummy residues to form on the outside of household oil bottles, and will gum up the injectors and cylinder bores in your engine.

A 50:50 mix of veg oil and diesel should start without problem through Spring, Summer and Autumn (drop to 25% veg oil in Winter) but this doesn't remove the glycerol gum problem.

Not insurmountable, but you need to be aware.

Bio-diesel
Heating veg oil with sodium methoxide (mixture of pure methyl alcohol and pure sodium hydroxide) overnight creates bio-diesel (and a separate layer of glycerol - like oil and water). Bio-diesel made this way is technically known as fatty acid methyl ester (FAME).

You need to remove the unused sodium hydroxide from the fuel by neutralising with an acid (drop by drop) and separate the fuel from the glycerol layer. Easy, but don't forget these steps or you'll be footing a big bill to replace dissolved injectors and pumps.

No glycerol in the fuel means no gumming of the injectors - great - but you will need a licence from the local environmental health people for the correct disposal of glycerol.

Car engines and 100% bio-diesel
Not good news, particularly for cars and trucks built before 2002, the polymer or rubber pipes and seals in the fuel system are not resistant to 100% bio-diesel - either they will swell, leak, or *beep* will be extracted from the piping and cause reliability issues with the injectors.

5% bio-diesel
All car manufacturers in Europe have collaborated in long term reliability studies, and this is already or will be the standard "diesel" you buy on the garage forecourt throughout Europe. No problems.

10% bio-diesel
France volunteered to experiment with a 10% mixture of bio-diesel and normal diesel - no one in CEN TC9 expects any problems.

France also volunteered to trial creating bio-diesel from veg oil, sodium hydroxide and ethanol (from the wine lake) - making a fatty acid ethyl ester (FAEE) bio-diesel - this has a higher cetane number and is ideal for the new generation of high power diesel engines.

50:50 bio-diesel mixture
Europe should be able to sustainably support between a 5% and 10% bio-diesel blend from home grown resources. So TC9 is not looking at higher blend ratios - but modern cars (post 2003) should not have a problem with these high levels of bio-diesel - no guarantees.

Red diesel
Contrary to popular myth, there is no difference between red diesel and normal supermarket diesel - except for the red dye and some other hidden markers.

Red diesel is exceptionally easy to decolourize - making it visually indistinguishable from forecourt pump diesel - which is why in 2007 red diesel becomes yellow diesel - and this yellow dye can't be stripped in the same way.

Bio-fuels
Declare your usage, pay the tax, and give it a go.

Robert
Killer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone  Mr. Green  have more than one years experiencing of using the same bio-diesel product, in particular RIX, in the same vehicle.
It would be very useful to have some stats to chew over.
Thanks.
Cheers, John :~}
markymoan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news everyone
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageLibrary_ShowContent&propertyType=document&id=HMCE_PROD1_026553

Now a friend has a 2.5 dse range rover on a 98 plate, any ideas to if it will run ok on svo ??

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been putting 30-40% svo into my 89 2.8td for a few months, 250 miles/week. Wonder what will happen when the gummy deposits start to build up.....
markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give it a tank of the good stuff with a can of injector cleaner in  Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sounds like a plan - I guess I will get some warning e.g loss of power rather than sudden death. Was thinking of putting some petrol (up to about 10%) in with an even higher percentage of veg oil...
ManicMechanic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:14    Post subject: and............................disaster!! Reply with quote

Tried putting more veg oil in last night - things were running very well so thought I'd push my luck Wink - Started this morning but didn't have any power, wouldn't rev past about 1300 rpm...........well it was pretty cold.

Tried topping up with petrol to help burn things out but the tank is completely full!!

Plan is to siphon the tank out, fill up with diesel and injector cleaner - if that doesn't work I'll change the fuel filter (should probably do that anyway)

If that doesn't work then I'm not sure - any suggestions??
markymoan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its running, let it run for a good while (bonnet down), when the engine gets hot it will start to warm the fuel returning to the tank. once it will rev, take it for a drive then put some petrol in,
To drain 80 litres is not a small job  Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, had a go this morning before I'd sorted a lift out - I'm still tasting diesel/veg oil everytime I burp - couldn't get it to siphon very well - fing disgusting I have to say....

Good idea, ran it for a good 10 15 mins and the revs just weren't picking up this morning, temp didn't get up to normal running temp though so will try again - shame the fan can't be easily disabled....cheers
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a drain plug under the tank.
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey mate... hope you haven't buggered it.... Crying or Very sad

Let us know what happens - was going to try the Tesco veg oil route but am hanging back now until I hear from you. Good luck....

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: