All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

some advice please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trooper kev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 20:58    Post subject: some advice please Reply with quote

hi there iam after a bit of advice if anybody can help,i have a (1993 (L) trooper duty 3.1 td)and some times not all of the time when i stop and park up i notice when iam sat in it usually on morrisons car park while waiting for the wife  Rolling Eyes steam starts coming from the front of the car when i have lifted the bonnet there has been water coming up out of the top of the expantion tank next to the radiator.at no time has the temp gone up at all.my vehicle usually runs with the temp needle just under the half way mark.i have had the thermostat changed and it doesnt seem to have made any differance?  ( BUT IT DOSENT DO IT ALL THE TIME) has anybody got any ideas? thanks kev.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 20:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

markymoan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, Rabbit had the same thing, his rad was blocked and he didnt find out until it blew the whole top of the rad  Shocked
Best to get it checked mate,

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply mark but it doesnt do it all the time surely if it was a blockage in the rad it would be doing it all the time not intermittently? cheers kev.
:::Matski:::
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be a head gasket issue?
crocket

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

trooper kev wrote:
thanks for the reply mark but it doesnt do it all the time surely if it was a blockage in the rad it would be doing it all the time not intermittently? cheers kev.

Not really. I took mine off-roading on Sunday and the rad. got clogged with mud (watch out for this, everyone) but, being aware of this, I drove home with an eye on the temp. gauge and it stayed absolutely as normal until I got stuck behind a Sunday driver going up over the Buxton to Leek road (long, steady incline) and the temp. shot up as the engine was forced to labour at such a slow speed (why are some ba***rds incapable of driving over 25-30 MPH?). I pulled over, waited for it to cool (never let it get near the red, mind) and continued with no probs at all. I hosed the rad. out at home and all is well now.

My point being that you could have a blocked rad. (internally or externally with debris/mud) which only shows itself when the engine really has to work a bit and, as these motors aren't really stressed during everyday driving, the problem may only manifest itself occasionally.

That's my theory anyway but it wouldn't hurt to flush your cooling system out and check the outside of the rad. for damage/blockage.
trooper kev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replys i will give the radiator a flush at weekend.the same thing happend today when i picked my daughter up from work just 3 to 4 miles away just a nice gentle drive no stress or strains put on the engine at all so i cant really work it out? and the temp doesnt move at all kev.
crocket

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, it sounds more like a head gasket/cracked head/block job - most likely just the gasket. Hope so as that's a relatively easy fix.
It could still just be a blockage, mind, as the temp. won't move much on the gauge if the water ain't circulating around the sensor. Let us know how you go on after flushing.
crocket

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it actually 'using' much water? If so, how much?
trooper kev

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 0:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

its been a few weeks since i last put any water in but looking at it i will probablly have to put about 50cl in to bring it back up to the mark.the water that is missing could be the water thats getting spat out the top of the expantion tank? this vehicle was fitted with a brand new head and gasket aprox one year ago. kev   Confused
crocket

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 0:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not much water. I'd expect more than that for a bu88ered head gasket. I'm going to ask my mate ( a proper diesel engineer) about this for you - get back soon (by weekend).
greasemonkey
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 20:08    Post subject: water Reply with quote

Hi
Have you changed the expansion tank cap
it may be blowing off too soon
cheers
GM
rabbitt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:
Yup, Rabbit had the same thing, his rad was blocked and he didnt find out until it blew the whole top of the rad  Shocked
Best to get it checked mate,

mine was actualy sorted by changeing the thermostat ( rad blew up due to blockage ) so that might be worth it , a cheap and easy job that may sort your issue ?
THE QUIET ONE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 TAKE OFF RAD CAP
2 START ENGINE NO THROTTLE
3 ONCE STARTED SLOWLY EXCELERATE UP TO 2000RPM
4THEN LET GO OF THROTTLE
5 WALK ROUND TO FRONT OFF TRUCK CHECK LEVEL  (TOP UP IF NESSECERY)
6 LET IT IDEL FOR 10 MINS KEEP CHECKING ON LEVEL
7 SLOWLY REV UP TOO 1500RMP KEEP IT FOR ABOUT 5 10 MINS
THIS IS BLEEDING THE COOLING SYSTEM

MAKE SURE HEATERS R ON HOT
TRYT THIS

mk1 2.8 ex skippy
mu 3.1 xs turbo
bendy bus
SCUM RUN 2010
trooper kev

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there, flushed the radiator out at weekend and give it some new anti freeze so far so good. but the problem was intermitant so i will just have to wait and see.fingers crossed thanks for the advice everybody kev.
jonkem

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kev, always a good idea not to put the anti-freeze back in until you know the problem is sorted. Gets expensive if you need to keep draining. Of course you need to watch for icy weather Wink
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: