Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

YES, IT'S THAT ***** AUTO SHIFTING THANG AGAIN!

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

bone1748

What did you use to block them off?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

apollo1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify as I'm pulling my bloody hair out.
The TPS on a 1995 LWB 3.1 BigHorn is on the accelerator pedal????
Is there one anywhere else??
After undoing the two screws how do you rotate it??

Just asking as I'm doing what I think is right but not 100%

Thanks  Very Happy
montifub

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the un-explained changing box thing going on for a while,  Sad checked the transmission fluid and drained about 2L of excess oil out  Shocked  which had a slight brown tinge to it. tried to set the tps voltage to 0.3 with the engine running,as mentioned in previous posts, but could only get it down to 0.44V with it wound fully CCW. Increased idle speed slightly as it was only about 760rpm. Took it for a spin and all seemed fine,  Smile but will have to wait and see on known difficult road sections. CCW seems to be the way Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

TPS = throttle position sensor , found on the inlet manifold on the 3.0. Should really say intake throttle position sensor for these engines  . On the 3.1 its on the injector pump
APS = accelerator position sensor , found on the accelerator pedals on 3.0's and the 3.1 if its a drive by wire one , will not have an arm on the injector pump
montifub

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Mr G, this is on my 3.1L ( I have one of each ) and correct  Very Happy it is on the injection pump.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, do you know if the TPS on a 3.0 is the same as in a 3.1, with the two same screws. Thanks.
martdram

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 23:26    Post subject: tps adjustment Reply with quote

well ive soaked up the info that many club members have added on here about this subject... ive kick my mule and i must say adjusting the tps sencor is realy a sort term fix,it worked (in my case)for a couple of weeks then all hell broke loose... Confused
reading further i will now attempt the total disconnect thing and see how that goes..im damn sure i can do with out the kick down .lol.
whilst on here,what is the correct manner in which to check trans oil,ie engine hot,engine cold ,engine running ,engine in neutral whist running ???? can some one shed some light  Smile  Smile
oooorrrrr even better has any one got any owners manuals/user manuels for a 3.1 td bighorn ?? Wink many thanks martdram
cronos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so relieved to have found this thread !

I've only had my Bighorn Irmscher 3.1 SWB Auto for a few weeks and I love everything about it....apart from this kickdown business !

It's caught me by surprise a good few times...always when trying to accelerate uphill...but I assumed it was just my bad driving skills as I've never owned an automatic before.

I find that I now just chug along behind slow moving uphill traffic rather than risk the embarrassment of it kicking down two gears whilst attempting to overtake a granny in a Micra, and me barely keeping up alongside with the revs screaming away! Laughing

I know there is lots of good info about this TPS thing on the forum, but the pics seem to have disappeared.
Does anyone have a pic they can post showing the location and what it looks like?

I'm hoping that even someone as spanner-intolerant as me can undo a couple of screws and turn something counterclockwise, rather than paying someone £45/hour to do it for me....if it really is as simple as that of course ! Smile

As I say, I love everything else about my truck, but this would be the icing on the cake if this overactive kickdown could be sorted.

Cheers.
nicerass

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

cronos wrote:
I am so relieved to have found this thread !

I've only had my Bighorn Irmscher 3.1 SWB Auto for a few weeks and I love everything about it....apart from this kickdown business !

It's caught me by surprise a good few times...always when trying to accelerate uphill...but I assumed it was just my bad driving skills as I've never owned an automatic before.

I find that I now just chug along behind slow moving uphill traffic rather than risk the embarrassment of it kicking down two gears whilst attempting to overtake a granny in a Micra, and me barely keeping up alongside with the revs screaming away! Laughing

I know there is lots of good info about this TPS thing on the forum, but the pics seem to have disappeared.
Does anyone have a pic they can post showing the location and what it looks like?

I'm hoping that even someone as spanner-intolerant as me can undo a couple of screws and turn something counterclockwise, rather than paying someone £45/hour to do it for me....if it really is as simple as that of course ! Smile

As I say, I love everything else about my truck, but this would be the icing on the cake if this overactive kickdown could be sorted.

Cheers.

Just look over the top of the fuel filter onto the fuel pump and its the little black round sensor, normally has some white numbers stamped onto it,  screw top and bottom. It brought on my check trans light at first so i adjusted it until the light went out, its a case of trial and try sometimes but worked for me. I have also learned to adjust to tow the caravan and drive under normal conditions, i have also adjusted the throttle cable so there is minimal slack at the pedal, the truck drives great now and on a foot to floor kickdown it goes back up the gears just enough, dont know if you will get by the granny in the Micra tho on the hill, these trucks, although powerful, are not for racing purposes  Shocked  Shocked

Dellbert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone got some pics of this removed and the spec it needs to be as i may know a man who can produce a batch of these ....
also does anyone have the original part number as there may be an off the shelf alternative ....
Matt-Bighorn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

First post on here guys....be nice Smile

Have been reading this thread intently - I'm on my second Bighorn automatic. Did this mod on the last one with good results. My new Bighorn seems to be doing a few od things ref gearchanges and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light? Basically it is reluctant to kick down at all really - i suppose the first thing i should check is if someone has over adjusted the TPS? But also the odd thing is if I floor the acclerator it will accelerate in the gear to 3500 rpm and then change up...is this one in the same problem or is it something else?

Also, I have bought transmission fluid and a lucas auto box additive - what is the best procedure for changing the gearbox oil, where is the filter and what is the best way to clean it?

Thanks,

Matt
Matt-Bighorn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably worth mentioning that when I got this 4x4 the speedo did not work and it did not shift into OD at all. I traced the problem to a broken wire going to the speed sensor and just botched the wire together again. It has also just had a full service and the injector reconditioned as some idiot ran it on heating oil. I did actually own this 4x4 for a week about a year ago and the gearbox performed absolutely as it should do, but I dont know what has been messed about with since as the previous owner was a bit of an idiot!
BrianWi11iamson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

So glad I joined this owners forum.

I just spent ages looking at this ongoing topic and eventually decided to skip to the end.

Apologies if I missed crucial info on what follows.

Being somewhat of a technophobe I will probably get around to chatting it over with my friendly mechanic at Plieades

I have owned my Bighorn since just before Christmas 2015. It was bought as a toy, but as my regular car (06 Audi 1.9 diesel Sportback) is waiting for a new clutch I have been driving it every day for a week, and if it were more economical for the mileage I do, it would be my preferred transport. An armchair is always more comfortable  than a sports seat for old bones.

You can guess why I ended up on this forum. The car kicks down from O/D for some acceleration but with such a ferocious increase of revs I tend to lift of and re-adjust the throttle and then she hunts between 4th and  O/D.

However in the meantime I adopted the practice of simply switching off O/D to accelerate for overtaking and pop it back on when I  achieve the required increase in speed. What I don't know and would like advice on please, is whether such a style of driving is good or bad for the car.
karlquartz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo, I've scanned through this post and seem to have a similar problem but not exactly the same as others.
I have 1997 Petrol Trooper, Auto transmission.
For a while it would sometimes suddenly apparently shift into a neutral condition - the engine would race.  At other times an apparent sudden downshift.
Now there is just one consistent problem.  If using 'D', when changes to top gear, there is nothing there - it just revs as if in neutral.
If I select '3' and don't use 'D', I can drive but obviously at slow speed or the engine is screaming if try to do more than about 30mph.
The car is in West Africa so local mechanics can't help much.  They suggest I just replace the gearbox, but reading this thread, I guess it may not be as simple as that if the issue is with sensors or something else?
Thanks for any thoughts!
Karl
P6UL K

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartQ wrote:
HowardJD wrote:
trooper 3.1 auto 1995. O.k. hard1 I tried your idea out. I unplugged  the unit and drove my normal daily route and yes the lack of kickdown was great. If you have a 1, 2 and D selecter then use the overdrive on/off switch for 3rd gear.  I found the motor had no go in it at all.  So, I am l assuming the main control unit dose not know what position the throttle is in so, no advance etc. to the timing etc. When i restored the connection all was well.

In 1995, Isuzu upgraded the 3.1 motor to Electronic fuel injection.  It sounds like your motor is one of these in which case the quick fix would be no good for you, as it would appear.  On the earlier ones, the fuel injection is mechanical and so the sensor only goes to the gearbox control unit as there isn't one for the engine, all the advance etc is done by vacuum pipes etc.  There may be (I am not sure) another TPS on your accelerator pedal which may possibly be the one for the gearbox, but I do stand to be corrected on that.

Grandad wrote:
the throttle position sensor on late automatic 3.1 bighorn/horizon is on the accelerator pedal as you say it`s fly by wire
and it is ECU controlled   the cable only goes to the gearbox
the sensor is screwed and glued so can be difficult to move

woodwizzard wrote:
Looking at having a bid on a 1995 curvey dash 3.1 bighorn, do these suffer from this sensitive kickdown issue and if so are they adjustable in the same way?

I have read through this thread and just wondered if the reason for having the adjustment could be differing speed limits in different countries. Do we have a higher speed limit than Japan resulting in our cars being at higher revs than theirs thus needing this adjustment to compensate. Just a thought Confused

Hi everyone!

Can't believe I found this thread as I thought I was the only one suffering from these problems! I have a curvy dash 3.1 TD and I'm having the drive issues around 60 mph where the engine is doing nearly 3000 rpm and not dropping down into overdrive.

I've quoted a couple of previous messages from the thread regarding similar issues other people are having but there doesn't seem to be any direct answer like there has been for people with TPS on top of the fuel pump which obviously my car doesn't have as it's on the accelerator pedal.

Is it possible to change the TPS on the pedal or is it built in?

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: