2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Bailcast CV Boots

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clive

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 15:37    Post subject: Bailcast CV Boots Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I’m in the process of fitting some Bailcast DBC400 CV Boots on an Isuzu Trooper 3.0L shift on the fly.
The outer ones I’ve fitted with no problems, in fact I’ve also fitted the inner ones but have concerns about the small metal clamp fitting.

If you take a look at the attached pictures you will see the inner boot completely overlaps the small metal clamping strip and I’ve used the Ligarex Fixing System as there is no up-stand needed for pinching together in order to tighten the clamp resulting in the clamp lying perfectly flat, had I used the clamp supplied it would have made matters worse.

What I’m worried about is the involute part of the boot getting cut by the clamp because of the overlap.

Is there something I’m doing wrong, looking at the larger end of the boot, am I right in assuming the small internal sealing ring on it should sit in the groove of the shaft see my sketch.

I can push the boot further onto the shaft housing up to where I’ve indicated with the green arrow but the internal sealing ring would be then sitting on the plain part of the shaft which is not as smooth as the groove machined into the shaft.

So can anyone offer some advice please, guess I don’t want to end up fitting more inner boots in next to no time because they have become cut.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/skyhawk2000/Trooper%20Driveshaft/P1130950x.jpg
http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/skyhawk2000/Trooper%20Driveshaft/P1130946.jpg
http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/skyhawk2000/Trooper%20Driveshaft/Inner%20Boot%20Housing.jpg
http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/skyhawk2000/Trooper%20Driveshaft/P1130959.jpg

Cheers

Clive
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 15:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Wilky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wang the metal clips and use H/D cable ties, or stainless steel cable ties, I get mine from Edmonson Electrucal but any electrical wholesaler will have them, much easier.
geeves

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boots do look a little long which might just be the way its sitting or maybe the large end isnt on properly. A lot of after market parts places try to produce one part for several different cars and this can be the result. It might be ok after youve driven it.
Those supplied clamps are ugly and by going to a notched adjuster will be impossible to tighten correctly. The ones you used and the suggestion of stainless steel cable ties from a electrical supplier are the ones I would use. The only catch with the cable tie is you cant reuse it. A cv boot tightening tool takes all the fun out of fitting these. After buying one I wondered why I had percivered for so many times using Mole grips and a large screwdriver. The proper tool is worth its weight in gold
Clive

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Geeves

First off welcome to the forum,

The internal location ribs on the large end were sitting in the location groove on the shaft, well as best you can get the pattern ones to sit as sometimes it’s the small detail which is not always the same as genuine parts.

What I’ve opted for is to move the small diameter end slightly further down the shaft, how far down was just a bit of guess work so I’m keeping my eye on them, the last thing I want is to be in the market for some new driveshafts because of damaged gaiters.

I don’t use plastic cable ties and at the price they are there wouldn’t be much point it trying to reuse one even if it were possible.

As I do have the correct tool for fitting the ties I don’t mind all the fun being taken out of fitting them, I don’t like fitting the darn things anyway.
I believe Citroen and Peugeot use the same type of ties, in fact it was a Peugeot Agent I purchased some stainless steel banding and the small clips from recently.
I’m not saying this method of fixing them is the be all and end all, as I've no doubt many on the forum will say they've had success by other methods, it’s just that I bought the tool many moons ago when I owned a Citroen Safari Estate and they were the first gaiters I’d ever fitted.

Cheers

Clive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: