QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

More power - easier driving - less fuel (hopefully)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:54    Post subject: More power - easier driving - less fuel (hopefully) Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have had my trooper (lotus bighorn"94") for nearly a year now with absolutley no bother. It is at van-aaken's (tuning company) being optimised this morning. These chaps believe that they can make a few mechanical adjustments to up the power to inexcess of 200bhp Shocked and 300lbs of torque, whilst also increasing mpg by 4-5 miles per gallon Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing .

Whilst I do not tow anything this may assist those who do, or be of interest to those who like to keep up with the pace of everyday traffic. I am picking it up shortley, will let you all know the outcome. Wink

regards
K.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Breach

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kev,
I'd be interested to know how you got on.
I run a MK1 Trooper 2.8TD and live around the Heathrow area,
so this place may be of some use to me.
All the best Martin
kev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:42    Post subject: More power, it's all good! Reply with quote

Breach wrote:
Hi Kev,
I'd be interested to know how you got on.
I run a MK1 Trooper 2.8TD and live around the Heathrow area,
so this place may be of some use to me.
All the best Martin

Hi Martin, (and anyone else),

A few more details, cost £385.

Results:

Well happy, the pickup on the trooper is now much quicker and stronger. Driving is much much smoother and gearchange (auto box) is almost seamless. Somehow, and I'm not sure why, it is also running much quieter whilst producing more power which was something that I was not expecting. Unable to comment on the fuel yet as not had the opportunity to take it on a nice long run, but initially it isnt any worse than before just doing a bit of running around town. The work takes about 3-4 hours including a road test. Certainley on the auto box, I would imagine the manual would be the same, it allows the selection of a higher gear quicker without labouring the engine, it just pulls away.

I'm generally v.pleased with the results. Their web site is
[http://www.vanaakendevelopments.co.uk]. I have used them before on my old Audi A4 quattro, their service and support, made me want to use them again.

cheers
Kev.
[/url]
montybob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

more to the point - I'd be interested to know what they've done .Adjusted kickdown?
Paul Rainbow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it re-maps the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) to offer more power by readjusting the electronic control of fuel delivery, timing, air/fuel flow, mixture control, gearbox change points, & all associated wizadry that makes the car move.

All vehicles are given a wide performance parameter to cope with differing conditions such as climate, fuel grade etc, so re-mapping the chip just gives a finer tailoring of the cars ability to suit the UK conditions.

Basically it makes it a lot more efficient!
Niceone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your Trooper petrol or diesel?
kev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:13    Post subject: More Power, Less fuel, the lowdown! Reply with quote

Hi Peeps,

ref your questions etc, my trooper is a 94 3.1TD (lotus edition SE)

The adjustments made to mine are mechanical and not software (ie chipped) due to the age of my motor. If your trooper is more recent then it can have a smart box added which is the equivelent of "chipping" your trooper by manipulating your ECU as stated above.

There is no change to the kickdown (apart from it being more effective), the mechanical changes are adjustments to your fuel and air intake which are aligned with each other to get a more efficient burn from the fuel as diesels always run lean due to lack of a carburetter to mix fuel/air effectively. With these adjustments, the turbo boost is also aligned to make use of the gases that result from the new level of "burn" and it is done to give a very smooth power delivery all the way through the rev range, god I should get a sales job with them, but it is true, my trooper is quieter and smoother with more power. They also check and adjust to ensure exhaust emissions are very low. Still looking at the fuel side as my trips have been relatively short since having it done, but initial indications are that it has improved, just don know by how much. Use of kickdown has reduced as the trooper is now pulling stronger so it does not labour the engine resulting in kickdown. In overdrive it still pulls away under accelaration (yes I now have some) enabling very, very good motorway speeds to be acheived if desired without strain, its like driving a 94 trooper with the ability to stay with 2004 BMW and Benz soft road models. Like I said before, I am more than happy.

cheers
Kev.
mud2plug

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 14:54    Post subject: Tuning & Insurance Reply with quote

Just be aware that while having a mechanical system optimised by Van Aaken or similar is OK, If you have an ECU re-chipped, re-programmed or fit a "smart box", this counts as a performance modification which would invalidate your insurance if not disclosed.

If you need the ECU tuned up, I have found that Liverpool Victoria is the most accomodating insurance company.
Also, look further than Superchips and you will find companies like Jabbasport can find more power with a bespoke tune-up, rather than a "mass produced" map.

To pre-empt the next question, YES, insurance assessors can tell if an ECU is non-standard or re-programmed.
Obviously they will spot any sort of smart box inserted in the wiring, but "optimising" a mechanical injector is simply tweaking what is already available and could not be differentiated from the work of a diligent mechanic in a normal service.

I'm all in favour of up to 15% more power on a mech unit or 30% on an ECU - just remember the insurance.
tony

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 15:19    Post subject: re van aakens chip Reply with quote

hi
ive got a 99 trooper with a 3 lt turbo 4jx engine in it ive got a van aakene chip in my car i get about 34 to the gallon wich i think is good for the size of the car.the chip puts the power uo to 200 horse power pulls a lot better i wished i got a trooper years ago i think its one of the better 4x4 on the road
tony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: