2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Flashing "Check Trans" light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewalker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 23:18    Post subject: Flashing "Check Trans" light Reply with quote

For several weeks now I have had the check trans light flashing with the engine ticking over in N.  Everything seemed ok whilst driving. I noticed it went out with just a few extra revs so I simply increased the tick over using the manual control to around 1100rpm and the flashing stopped. Q what is the recommended tick over rpm.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 23:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Mr Walker! What is the model/year/trans (auto?)

Recomended tickover? Well I think most are around 750 rpm. 1100rpm seems a little (no, a lot) high.

Let us know what you got and then you'll (maybe, hopefully) get answers.

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
THE QUIET ONE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like u ave a auto transmition

mk1 2.8 ex skippy
mu 3.1 xs turbo
bendy bus
SCUM RUN 2010
mikewalker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 22:16    Post subject: Tickover Reply with quote

I have a 1993 3.1 LWB Bighorn 4JG2 Auto with 85k miles on the clock.  It sounds ok with 1100rpm tickover and I really hated that check trans light winking at me.  Any ideas?

Mike
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well believe it or not, it can signify problems with the speed sensor. Do you a) have any problem with the speedo bouncing around? b) Do you have a KPH to MPH converter?

crocket

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, now stay with me here, that check trans light could just possibly mean that you need to check your transmission.
It's probably low on fluid if a few revs puts the light out but increasing the tickover to put out that annoying light is rather like having some loose wheel nuts and turning-up the radio so that you can't hear those annoying little blighters.
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

crocket wrote:
Also, now stay with me here, that check trans light could just possibly mean that you need to check your transmission.

Well it's true, it just might.......you never know..... Wink

wizzo1968

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mine did the same whent out when i reved it but when i pushed on the dash over the light it whent out a bit of a dodgy connection on the back hope yours is the same good luck ........... Very Happy

mikewalker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:18    Post subject: Flashing "check trans" light Reply with quote

1.  The speedo operates in a steady fashion - no erratic swings
2.  The speedo reads MPH
3.  The distance travelled is in km's
4.  There is sufficient oil in the gearbox - it is within the marks when checked cold.

I guess therefore there is a kph/mph convertor( I think these will be compulsory when first imported - it is a Lotus conversion)

Yesterday I did about 150 motorway miles with no problems apart from just 3 unexpected downshifts on long gradients. The unwanted downshifts
are much much worse when towing.

I looked at the throttle position sensor recently and it appears to be in its original locked ( with a blob of paint) position and seems to be more towards the fully anti clockwise position.  I didn't touch it though.

Mike
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a converter or could be a replaced face. Either way, if your speedo is steady - you could probably rule out speed sensor.

The unexpected downshifts are part of the territory with this box unforunately...you can change that with the TPS very simply if you want to, but it might be an idea to find out why your check trans light is winking at you first.

MartQ has "recovered" his OD by flushing out his box several times so maybe a change of fluid will work for you as well.  To get all the fluid out you will need to take the pan right off. There is a filter internally which can get gummed up and people have cleaned this with various degrees of success. (There is a thread on this in the gearbox forum called "Gearbox problem sorted at last", or similar)

If you're towing a lot, then you should change it every 20,000 miles anyway.  

Do you have an external trans cooler? This is highly recommended if you are doing a lot of heavy duty towing or high performance driving ( Shocked )with any auto not just this one....excessive heat is the enemy....

MartQ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your sppedo is in MPH but the Odo is in km, then you DO NOT have a converter fitted, just the speedo faceplate has been replaced.

You say the fluid is correct when checked cold, did you have the engine running when you checked it or was it switched off?  The book says to have it running, to shift up and down the gears a few times, leave it in P or N then check level with engine idling.  I personally would take it for a 10 minute drive and check the level at the higher markings.

As Hard1 wrote, I have had problems with mine, firstly my TPS was nadgered and it had also become gummed up (or so it appears).  I dropped the fluid & sump, cleaned the suction filter, ran it for a couple of weeks over which time I saw a gradual improvement.  I then drained & replaced the fluid again and stuck in a bottle of "goop" recommended to me by "Grandad" called Lucas Transmission Fix.  Seems to have done the job as the 'box is now even better behaved than after changing the TPS and seems smoother and just better at transferring power to the wheels.

With regard to the flashing lamp, if you fit a piece of wire between the two outer terminals of the diagnotic socket, just inside the centre console down in the drivers' footwell, switch on the ignition and watch the check trans lamp, it will flash a fault code at you.  What I recommend you do though first is disconnect the battery(ies) for a couple of minutes, to erase any previously stored fault codes, then go for a short drive and then check the fault codes.  There is a sticky with the codes meanings at the top of this forum.

I think this is the place to start as it may give an idea of where specifically to look for a fault rather than trying everything else and still having no idea.

Unfortunately for me I wasn't getting any codes and it has taken since the end of October to get mine sorted (hopefully).

Let us know how you get on.

Regards MQ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: