All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Manual versus Automatic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrshifta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 22:48    Post subject: Manual versus Automatic Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if I can expect the same performance from an Automatic 3.5 petrol 2001X Citation as I get from my Manual 1996P Monterey 3.2. I am more concerned about acceleration/top speed than consumption although I would be interested in any comparisons.

It appears that there are lots of people with Auto problems and very few with Manual ones so as I have had no problems in the 9 years I have owned the Monterey (102,000miles) am I making a bad move going Auto?

Finally, does the Mk4, being the last ones made, suffer from any known faults I should look for e.g. does it still use the same auto box as the earlier models?

Any help will be gratefully recieved.

Mr Shifta
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 22:48    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

markymoan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Itoc  Very Happy

I'm a manual lover myself as they dont go wrong, but as i have never had an auto trooper i'll leave it to the ones that have  Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 0:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the auto problems appear to be with the Aisin-Warner box fitted to the diesel motors.  I can't remember seeing a problem mentioned wih the BMW (I think) 4L30E box fitted to the petrol motors.
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "problems" you may have read about on the forum are about the 3.1 tdi box which is an import only not offered on UK versions. The "problems" are usually only about an over sensitive kickdown threshhold not any inherent mechanical problems - the box itself seems tough and reliable and is fitted to a range of other vehicles and seems no better or worse than any others.

The auto box behind your 3.5 will be a different type (GM?)  and I believe I'm right in saying that they appear to be a rarity on this forum which is good news as most people pop up on here with problems which I guess, is why we're here! Idea .

An auto box will not affect your not top speed (by much if any) but you do lose some hp driving them due to frictional losses. Theoretically, you would lose out in pure acceleration terms to a manual, but as most drag race tin tops are auto I guess that tells it own story! Auto's are kinder to drive train components and as many will tell you, are much better to tow with...

Hope this helps...

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
markymoan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartQ wrote:
Most of the auto problems appear to be with the Aisin-Warner box fitted to the diesel motors.  I can't remember seeing a problem mentioned wih the BMW (I think) 4L30E box fitted to the petrol motors.

I beg to differ, the gm box is a light use box and i know 2 friends that have had them blow on them.
Why they fitted it in a 2 ton truck is beyond me  Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected then.  Just hadn't heard of anyone having problems so thought they were fine.  I know the same box is used in some BMs & volvos, does seem a bit of a variation to a 4x4.
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually petrol autos are a rarity full stop so we have no experience of them on here....as Mart says.

But, we could write a book about the AW couldn't we?

markymoan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the quiet one and nick have petrol auto's and both spent thousands fixing them, imo the gm box is weak
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal preference is manual, never got on with auto's. The missus' shogun is an auto, and I can't be doing with. I prefer to 'Drive' the vehicle.
I'm led to believe auto's are more expensive when they go wrong?

Twister wrote:
Always thought Troopers look their best in white

LTM 022
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything mechanically eventually wears out but you certainly don't hear of as many manual gearbox rebuilds as auto's and yes, auto box is usually expensive to fix as it's quite a complex piece of kit, plus, the (auto)gearbox repair market seems to be riddled with more than it's fair share of cowboys...I would imagine that extreme use would probably see the demise of an auto quicker than a manual.

I have an auto but would have prefererred a manual, however, manual Bighorn's are quite hard to find....

mrshifta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:43    Post subject: Auto v Manual Reply with quote

Well I seem to have opened a can of worms here, The dealer seller tells me that the "modern" auto boxes fitted to cars these days rarely fail (but he would wouldn't he) but he only offers a three month guarantee.

As it wll be driven hard I am worried that I could be the reason for it to fail as I have had two autos (Honda Legend failed twice in a year) and a 95 Monterey auto that failed.  Am I jinxed or can hard driving cause premature failure?

Many thanks to you all for taking the time to help, much appreciated.

Mr Shifta
markymoan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not a can of worms, its healthy discussion  Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always buy autos if I can - whatever the car. I love 'em. Why anyone would want to keep pressing a clutch pedal and messing about with a gearstick when you can get the car to do it for you is beyond me and I've found them to be brilliant off-road - especially in lo-box when descending gradients.
Well I give my autos  a very hard life and I've never had one fail. Maybe I'm lucky.
markymoan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just been talking to a good friend, and he says most autobox failure is caused by lack of sevicing, otherwise most people will give the engine new oil and filters but never think about the gearbox.
It does make sense  Smile
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very true Marky. Part of the problem is the basic service book that recommends NEVER to change the trans oil, which as we all know is BS. MartQ has changed his about 3 times in a month now and got his OD back!

Mr Shifta, what do you classify as "hard driving"?

What engine did the Monterey have?

The biggest enemy to an auto is heat. You can quite easily "cook" the trans in hard use e.g. towing a heavy trailer in warm/hot weather up  hills etc. For heavy duty use the conventional wisdom is that you fit an external trans oil cooler in  series with the stock item which is situated in the bottom of the rad. If you then fit a thermostat in the line (you would have to plumb in a by-pass controlled by the thermstat) you will always ensure the trans gets the right temp oil. The reason for the stat is, that the O/D and torque converter lock-up system are temeperature controlled. If you run too cool (as in the winter) you will likely not get your O/D to work with an external trans cooler.

The full manual suggests you change the ATF every 20,000 miles if used for regular towing duties.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: