2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Manual versus Automatic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Crocket. My Troophorns have been manual; auto; auto; and manual.

I've driven autos for years and years and never had one fail.

Of course, it's common sense to change the oil and only use a high quality fully synthetic.

My present 3.0 Citation is manual and that's the only thing I really don't like about it. Much harder work, especially in traffic and when towing.

I tow 3 tons long distances and never had a heat problem (there's an overheat warning light) even in mid summer. The torque converter lock-up cuts out all the friction when you're cruising so then it's no worse than a manual box.

Of course, with the torque multiplier effect of the torque converter you can deliver huge grunt to the ground from standstill which is great for recovering boats, pulling down trees and all those fun things a good 4x4 are so good at!

IMHO!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 20:30    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

mrshifta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 21:50    Post subject: Manual v Auto Reply with quote

Hi Hard 1, I know I should know better but at 66 I still race bikes and the right foot is as heavy as my right wrist. I do a lot of high speed mileage and very little towing these days so solo performance is vital. The Monterey has the 3.2 v6 petrol motor and as the manual box has 5 gears I am concerned that the Auto 3.5 v6 will appear underpowered with only four gears.

Is it likely that the Citation 3.5 that I am considering at 42,000miles will still have the original fluid in the box? If so how easy is it to change it at home and if I modify the plumbing as you suggest does it need to be done professionally or is it a diy job?

It sounds as though you have had it done at some time so any clue as to who could do it in the Midlands would help.

I really am torn by which way to go and I know that no-one is going to tell which way to jump in case I come back at them if it all goes pearshaped and I blow up the new auto box.

I like the idea of the belt and braces approach by double cooling the fluid and that might overcome my reserve over auto's.

Thanks a million, joining the ITOCUK club is the best move I have made in a long time, I am amazed at the prompt and helpfull advice given by you all.

Mr Shifta
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mr Shifta! First of all, the box in the gas powered auto Troop is different from the diesel powered version so I am unable to comment, but I will say that if you are not towing and putting loads of extra HP through the trans, then you need to make no further mods to the box except make sure the trans fluid is fresh and yes, at 42,000 miles it's probably still original. Stick some fresh Dexron III in it and see how it goes. Other members have stated that there have been reliability problems with the GM box, but as I say, I am totally unable to comment as I have the AW version.

As Marky said rightly so, keep it all serviced regularly and it will pay dividends... Smile

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
MartQ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also would echo Hard1.

Learned through experience.

The book says there is no requirement to change the fluid, but knowing now what I do, and how relatively easy it is to do, I will be changing mine every 12 months.
crocket

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, me too.
Ther may be no requirement to change the fluid but whoever heard of an oil/fluid change doing any harm?
mrshifta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:06    Post subject: Manual versus Auto Reply with quote

Well Lads, I have bitten the bullet and bought the 3.5 Auto Citation. I drove it back from Teeside to Nottingham following my Monterey V6 (as we couldn't agree on a trade in price with the dealer. ) It is a bit slower accelerating in the gears but top speed seems the same. It used slightly less juice than the Monterey which surprised me, even though the makers do claim it is more economical by 1mpg (big deal)

I can see that I will have to remove the big lead weights from my right foot when running around locally to preserve the mpg.

It might be that I am not used to the Citation yet but the ride seemed harsher than the Monty with a bit more roll. Any comments regarding the Mk4 roadholding as apposed the earlier models?

Anyway I would like to thank all of you who responded with advice and help. Well done...........

Barry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: