Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Please help with starting issues

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjtrooper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 0:05    Post subject: Please help with starting issues Reply with quote

You guys certainly know your stuff and I'm hoping you will be able to help with a problem we have with ours - hard to explain but I will try and cut a long story short.
Bought LWB 3.0 2000 just after Christmas, been going fine then trouble starting especially when really cold. Garage said all 4 glow plugs were shot so replaced them (£224!). Week or so was starting fine.
Then started turning over and over again before fireing up which was draining the battery. Had to charge battery with charger, car didn't seem to be recharging it so sent back to garage (voltage meter read approx 12).  Garage had it there for three days, checked battery, alternator, (meter reading 14v), took relay out cleaned contacts etc, could't find anything else wrong. He said run for a few days and see how it is. Had it back for two days now, went to start it this morning and its turning over again for ages before it fires up. This is such a drain on the battery you can hear that struggling after a while with the charge.
We know something isn't right but if the garage can't find out what it is we have no hope. Warranty (for certain things) runs out within 6 weeks so would like to get it sorted before that ends.
Your help (if any) would be much appreciated.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 0:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DYLAN

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

What oil is in it?
jjtrooper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

DYLAN wrote:
What oil is in it?

We have no idea - although we do check the oil every week, levels are fine so we haven't had to put any in.
I have been reading about the oil in various posts and will be purchasing 5w30 - is this right ?
DYLAN

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it is.. the garage might have put 10w40 in it . i actually think it states in the handbook that 10/40 is ok but they dont get the oil pressure properly and as you probably know the 3.0 needs the pressure to start so i would change the oil straight away and see if it makes it any better. you never know it might save you a large garage bill... If it does not fix it i'm sure some of the 3.0 owners on here will go through a few more possible's with you..
jjtrooper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

DYLAN wrote:
yes it is.. the garage might have put 10w40 in it . i actually think it states in the handbook that 10/40 is ok but they dont get the oil pressure properly and as you probably know the 3.0 needs the pressure to start so i would change the oil straight away and see if it makes it any better. you never know it might save you a large garage bill... If it does not fix it i'm sure some of the 3.0 owners on here will go through a few more possible's with you..

Dylan, we appreciate your help so far, I hope someone can help us sort it. I can do without the hassle of not knowing if it is gonna start in the morning or not.
DYLAN

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 0:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will, but all the 3.0 owners will say put 5w30 in first, just to make sure
Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3.0 must have 5w30

Hard starting can be caused by a few things on the 3.0 ... one is wrong oil, the second is fuel draining back to the tank (isuzu dealers can fit a one-way kit to sure this), the third is the ECU is not receiving one of the three required electronic signals to alllow it to fire the injectors  Rolling Eyes  these are Crank Position, Camshaft Position and Oil Pressure in the high pressure rail over the back of the injectors. If the problem is not caused by the first two (wrong oil or drain back) then its likely the lack of oil pressure would be next... the following need to be checked:

Oil strainers in the sump are a-ok and clear
Pressure sensor is operational**
High pressure pump is fully functional**

** to theck the starred items you may need the isuzu tech2 computer.
jjtrooper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris,

We have just bought the oil, we are taking no chances, so that is today's job - we are going to change it completely - at least the we know what's in it.

We really do appreciate all your help, you have taught us loads of useful info reading through all the other posts too.

I'll let you know how it goes when its changed.
jjtrooper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard starting can be caused by a few things on the 3.0 ... one is wrong oil, the second is fuel draining back to the tank (isuzu dealers can fit a one-way kit to sure this), the third is the ECU is not receiving one of the three required electronic signals to alllow it to fire the injectors  Rolling Eyes  these are Crank Position, Camshaft Position and Oil Pressure in the high pressure rail over the back of the injectors. If the problem is not caused by the first two (wrong oil or drain back) then its likely the lack of oil pressure would be next... the following need to be checked:

Oil strainers in the sump are a-ok and clear
Pressure sensor is operational**
High pressure pump is fully functional**

** to theck the starred items you may need the isuzu tech2 computer.[/quote]

OK, oil was changed yesterday - that obviously wasn't the problem but at least we know it has the correct oil in there now.
Still struggling to start - It could be a fuel problem as once it has started you can stop it, start it again and it will fire up straight away. I will ring our local Isuzu dealer tomorrow - Is this a part than we can buy and have fitted or do Isuzu have to do it ? - has anyone else had one fitted ? Did it cure your problem ?
Your help/advice as always is very much appreciated.
jjtrooper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for the double post but I am unable to edit the first one

OK, oil was changed yesterday - that obviously wasn't the problem but at least we know it has the correct oil in there now.
Still struggling to start - It could be a fuel problem as once it has started you can stop it, start it again and it will fire up straight away. I will ring our local Isuzu dealer tomorrow - Is this a part than we can buy and have fitted or do Isuzu have to do it ? - has anyone else had one fitted ? Did it cure your problem ?
Your help/advice as always is very much appreciated.
Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it fires up straight away after being run it sounds like you need the one way valve fitting.
jjtrooper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does, thanks Chris - lets hope that is the problem. I'll find out about having one fitted tomorrow.
jjtrooper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well phoned our local Isuzu dealer and they said they can fit the one way kit for £120, should take 1/2 hour. Hope this will now solve the starting issue once and for all.

Thanks for your guidance and advice, especially Chris.

regards
jjtrooper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

After speaking to a couple of mechanics about our starting issues, we have decided against the one way kit for now. We are starting to get a pattern forming where as if the battery is fully charged it will start at the flick of the key. Can't get in till Tuesday but taking it to an auto electrician as our mechanic seems to think there is a relay breakdown. In the meantime we have to keep our battery on trickle charge when not in use, I'll keep you informed in case anyone else has the same problem.

Re one way kit our mechanic can fit one for about £10, bit different than Isuzu charging us £120 !!!!
jjtrooper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, our car is in with the auto electrician. He is waiting for a wiring diagram to be emailed to him about the 'thing' between the alternator and the battery. He has never seen anything like it, he doesn't know what its called. All I can describe it as a 'small radiator looking thing with pipes coming out of it'.  He says it some sort of charging unit as well as the battery. Can anyone shed any light on what is it called? could it be replaced?
and anything else you can think of.

Many thanks in advance

Jayne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: