QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Please help with starting issues

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
normskee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it goes well for you...(fingers crossed). I've checked the load on mine today and it seems within limits. (35mA). I'm begining to suspect the new alternator too funnily enough, or the wiring loom to it, as although it's charging at 14v I'm getting a faint 4x4 light and a very faint ignition light without the engine running. I did discover that I had no glow plugs either. One has cooked itself and blown the 50A fuse. I'm surprised your Auto electrician didn't pick up on your alternator...let us know how you get on.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 22:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jjtrooper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

normskee wrote:
I'm surprised your Auto electrician didn't pick up on your alternator...let us know how you get on.

We are not happy either - our mechanic and an auto electrician failed to pick this up. Let's hope this is it - I'll let you know how we go
normskee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know again that mine IS the new alternator! I had the multimeter on the wrong setting (whoops), and actually had a parasitic load of 350mA, caused mostly by the new alternator. The starting problem was caused by a glow plug shorting to the block, blowing the fuse and thus having no glow plugs. Combined with the original alternator charging below what it should have been, then the new one draining the battery overnight...nightmare. Hope you got yours sorted anyway.
jjtrooper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo hoo !!!!

Thanks to the guys at Cotswold Subaru & Isuzu - it looks like ours is finally sorted. We had a new alternator fitted there yesterday, picked it up this afternoon and the voltage needle is now where it should be.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice.
dxmedia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've not been able to source this problem yet, try putting an ammeter across the battery, with the engine switched off then take out ALL of the fuses in the trooper (both under the bonnet and in the cab) till there is no longer a current being drawn (fuses one at a time - checking the ammeter in between). From what you are saying this does sound like an earth leak (not a nerf leak as the misses thinks I just told her Wink ), so unless there is a battery cable shorting, there should be a fuse that will be on the device which is draining the power.

There will be a couple of things which should draw a current - stereo memory and the like, but it sounds litke there is a single item which once the fuse is taken out will cause a noticable drop in the power consumption.

If your going to do this make a note of the fuses positions so that they all go back in the right places Wink

Hope this helps since electrical problems can be a nightmare to find...

Chris.

01553 845 945
dxmedia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha - didn't read the last thread - good to hear it's sorted !!

01553 845 945
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: