All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

MPG

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Del Boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 21:41    Post subject: MPG Reply with quote

Hi All, A little info needed. A short while ago we bought a 95 bighorn Auto. It drives great but with a low noise like mag whine when under power. But we will trace what that is when it goes back for the snagging. Being new to diesel auto,s what sort of mpg should we be getting around town. It is coming out around 16.5 at the moment. Good or Bad? thanks for any info offered.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 21:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Peej
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! I think autos will use a bit more but that seems poor, my 3.1 manual does nearly 30 mpg, though I do my travelling when the roads are quiet as I'm on 12 shifts.
Peter Bonnell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get 30 all the time with my 3.1 manual , on a steady run from Sheffield to Wales last week my dad got 36  Shocked
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

16.5 Del Boy? have you got a leak?  Shocked

Most 3.1 autos seem to hover between 26-28 mpg and don't really change a lot highway/urban/towing. Say lowest 22 and highest 28mpg.

16.5 mpg is the lowest I ever heard of since I joined up on here 3 years ago...

Start at the beginning. Biggest enemy to fuel economy is the air filter. If it hasn't been changed yet, try it and see what happens..

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
Del Boy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 0:12    Post subject: MPG Reply with quote

Hi Guys, Thanks for the info, will check air filter tomorrow. No apparent wet spots underneath. Does not change up and down when it should not. No Smoke, apart from a little on start up, but vanishes at once.  Keep the suggestions coming. Getting a bit worried now you all seem to get far more MPG than us. Thanks again, very grateful.
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry - there has to be a reason for it.

Do you get much black smoke? It's difficult to see in daylight and you're gonna run into someone staring in your rearview mirror. At night, all diesels look like they smoke a lot in the headlights of a following vehicle.

Best way to check is by having a friend follow you for a drive around. For that kind of consumption, if it WAS fuel system related I would expect it to be belching out....

Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, just read "no smoke" d'oh.. Embarassed

Del Boy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard1 wrote:
I wouldn't worry - there has to be a reason for it.

Do you get much black smoke? It's difficult to see in daylight and you're gonna run into someone staring in your rearview mirror. At night, all diesels look like they smoke a lot in the headlights of a following vehicle.

Best way to check is by having a friend follow you for a drive around. For that kind of consumption, if it WAS fuel system related I would expect it to be belching out....

Hi Hard 1, Thanks for the reply. Still abit worried 16.5 !!! when it seems should be far more. Car itself is very clean in and out and drives realy well, little knock when steering is turned hard over to left and sometimes after we have started going backwards? apart from that and the low MPG and the low whine that sounds like magnito whine (goes up and down with revs) when under power, everything seems fine, everything is working inside. Air con etc, etc. Goes back to the vendor on 27th to have rear nearside C/L solenoid and new ariel fitted.
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you checking the mpg? The gauges are wildly inaccurate sometimes. These are a bit tricky as they are supposed to have a tank capacity of 80 litres (LWB), but I swear I've never got any more than 65-70 in mine. The only way to ensure a full tank is to brim it, and believe me, that takes some time in mine as you have to shake it to get the air out of the tank when it gets near full,  so get it filled right up, go for a longish drive of mixed motoring (highway + urban + town) say at least 100 miles and then brim it again to calculate your accurate consumption.

It's the only way.... Wink

Del Boy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard1 wrote:
How are you checking the mpg? The gauges are wildly inaccurate sometimes. These are a bit tricky as they are supposed to have a tank capacity of 80 litres (LWB), but I swear I've never got any more than 65-70 in mine. The only way to ensure a full tank is to brim it, and believe me, that takes some time in mine as you have to shake it to get the air out of the tank when it gets near full,  so get it filled right up, go for a longish drive of mixed motoring (highway + urban + town) say at least 100 miles and then brim it again to calculate your accurate consumption.

It's the only way.... Wink

I brimed it out right out, used it untill guage reached a quater then brimmed it again. Calculated via ltrs used.
crocket

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you did more stop/start running than you realise - that will drop the MPG. You need to own it a while then you'll get a feel for what you're averaging much better. Mine only does about 20 at weekends (short journeys) but, during the week (longer runs) does 30ish.
K.Goodwin
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Bonnell wrote:
last week my dad got 36  Shocked

...does he want a job driving mine?  Shocked  Laughing

Twister wrote:
Always thought Troopers look their best in white

LTM 022
Del Boy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard1 wrote:
16.5 Del Boy? have you got a leak?  Shocked

Most 3.1 autos seem to hover between 26-28 mpg and don't really change a lot highway/urban/towing. Say lowest 22 and highest 28mpg.

16.5 mpg is the lowest I ever heard of since I joined up on here 3 years ago...

Start at the beginning. Biggest enemy to fuel economy is the air filter. If it hasn't been changed yet, try it and see what happens..

Hi Hard 1. Have had engine checked out, by our own guy. He found that the Turbo Air Filter was dirty. (New one in) The Overdrive Light on dash was not working. Overdrive OFF all the time. (Now sorted) also a very Loose Pipe on the Turbo. (Now tight again). MPG seems to be a hell of a lot better now, going by the trip, will know more after I have brimmed out and worked out MPG again. Turbo still whistles a lot though. Says a lot for the PDC when we bought it!!!! Thanks for the help and info to all.
Mike_S

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my 3.1 Auto is a bit thirsty around town too - but I managed to solve this problem completely last week - went and bought a 660cc Daihatsu car for use around town, and the Trooper is now restricted to open road trips where it gets much better mpg. 8)

Mike.
mikeatshoebury
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:06    Post subject: IsuzuTrooper Fuel consumption Reply with quote

Smile I have had my 1995 Bighorn 3.1TD Auto for almost five years and get the usual sort of mpg -23 to 25 around town, 27 on open road, and about 22 to 23 towning the caravn. You seem to have gone through all the usual suspects and I hope you are now getting normalish consumption. The turbo whine is a common characteristic of the 3.1 turbo diesel, and I would rather worry if it wasn't there on mine! Those little bearings running at 50000rpm or so are bound to want to moan a little!
Just wanted to add that I just did an oil change(first not done by my local friendly garage), and although I managed to unscrew the filter Ok, I could NOT get it through the metalwork clear of the car without 'modifying' it's shape! Looking into it, the garage had fitted a Unipart GF335 which was 2 millimetres too wide to get through the gap between torsion bar and front diff drive! I managed to get a Blueprint ADZ92108 filter which slides in nicely being the right width! Just thought I would share that with you as it took me 2 days to work it out looking at this Bighorn sitting in my drive devoid of oil, and no way to fit a filter!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: