QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

isuzu trooper email virus.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Computer Bytes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fintius maximus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:09    Post subject: isuzu trooper email virus..... Reply with quote

Hi all, don't know if anyone else had experienced this......  I checked my emails last night and had 4 from Isuzu Trooper enthusiasts forum moderator saying that the site had found viruses on my computer and that I need to use their virus scanner to remove them.  Foolishly I did so and my laptop was taken over and completely paralysed.

Had to completely wipe the hard drive and several hours later and using Norton anti virus scanner and reloading all my software I now have it back.

Just a warning to others!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:09    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

knghtandyk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many variants of this doing the rounds at the moment, either sent out in emails or thrown up when accessing an infected site; all boiling down to an ok/cancel option (both will run the infected code) and an offer to clean your machine.
Once a site/link throws this up, the best way out is to not click either button, open up task manager by right clicking the task bar and going for task manager, then on the processes tab, look for iexplore.exe, (or the thread for whatever browser you're using) select it and hit end process.
Cause of this is infected code embedded within the site so if it's a genuine site you received this from, you might do well to email the moderators/admins and let them know.
badendesigns
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough I got the same problem from Facebook the other day. Fortunately I'm running AVG and NOD together so no problem. There are some nasty things about at the moment.

79 XS1100

82 XS1100 midnight

87 454 LTD

Lovin it!!!!!

Wear sunscreen

LTM 000103
knghtandyk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

There certainly is. As a rule I don't use any kind of anti virus/spyware scan that's web based whether it asks me or not.
I know a few people who swear by a couple of site based scanners but the majority out there tend to carry malware themselves so I find it's best to stick with well known, well rated av software.
scj103
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a good, free (for home use) you cant beat AVG Free (google it).  Its about 80% more efficient than any norton/symantec product, and doesnt eat your system resources.
The Laird

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITOCUK don't like my e-mail address! Very Happy

[quote]ALL gmail / googlemail addresses are on the 'exclusion  
list' - as is bluebottle.com - sorry!

Thing is Bluebottle positivly reject spam! If you send me an e-mail the server will ask
you to confirm that you are 'human'! It then 'approves' you and lets the e-mail through.
Or I can approve, delete or block on the server.
I had to use the e-mail that BT gave me to log on to the forums. I only check it about every 6 months!! Twisted Evil

It gets lonely without spam at first! Very Happy
knghtandyk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol don't know about that. I could certainly live without spam!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Computer Bytes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: