All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Rear boot storage for a MK2 LWB 7 seat

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dxmedia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 20:54    Post subject: Rear boot storage for a MK2 LWB 7 seat Reply with quote

Hey up,

Im in the process of drawing some plans up for rear storage area for a mk2 lwb 7 seater.

My initial plans are a raised floor with the back seats lowering onto this, without the need for the fold down legs (seatbelts will still be attached to the floor pan, not the wooden panel which I'm going to use to raise the floor). This is going to give about 5 1/2 inches storage, then behind the small door area build about 14 inches up for an area which can hold 3 gallon oil cans (the plastic ones used for oil, anti freeze, water...), and for it to finish just shy of the release leavers for the 2nd row of seats.

I'd like to have things such as towbar, ropes, snow chains and the like out of the way, out of sight, and also secure in the case of potential flying objects.

oh fyi - I was planning on using 1/2 inch mdf with a couple of uprights to stop flexing, with a small panel of 3mm mdf so that I can fit my trolley jack in (it's just under 5 1/2 inches high, so wouldn't fit with the 1/2 inch mdf in place, with a large flap near the 2nd row of seats so long items can be placed securly.

Once everything is completed I'll put the plans and photo's on my web server so if anyone wants to know how....

Has anyone done this type of thing before, and does anyone have any advise before I put a saw to wood? I've seen similar things done before, but I'd like to leave the 3rd row of seats in place, and also be able to have a dog jump in the back so a low floor is needed for both.

Chris.

01553 845 945
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 20:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

moglite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds cool - I'm building drawers for mine, and I've lost the back seats.

Take out the storage tray under the middle row of seats. There is a huge amount of space there for in-frequently used stuff.

I've been thinking about adding some small access doors to be able to get at some of the space easier.

Andy
dxmedia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya moglite,

Do you mean take out the plastic mount for the under seat storage?  I've been playing with the idea of putting the trolley jack in there - but it wont fit  Sad

Chris.

01553 845 945
moglite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will when you take out the plastic liner - its a huge space   Very Happy

A dozen cross-head screws and mine was in the bin.
I managed to keep the lid though.
It'll make sense when you do it.

Andy
Webby

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to make something that will last don't use MDF.  The damp in the car will soon lead to it starting to disintergrate.  To do the job properly use Marine ply.  It would be possible to use slightly thinner ply too, as it will still have more space.  Yes it is more expensive but will look much better for so much longer.  
I used normal ply to line the back of my previous truck (a Daihatsu)  and even when painted the laminates started to come away from each other.
Obviously mines a SWB van, but heres the back of mine.

dxmedia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point webby,  MDF came to mind because of it's strenght, but ply in the long term is going to be the better option (strength and resiliance)- It was going to get a coat of varnish and carpet top either way, so don't have the end grain to be looking at. Moglite's advise on the storage bin is going to come in handy since I will be able to live with the lack of height in the draw section. With a combination of both of these storage area's will mean that all of the tat which is normally viewably will be nicely hidden away from the theiving pikeys (sorry there was a politically correct term for pikeys mentioned on this site, but I can't remember what it is!!). Well down to the timber merchant later, and I'll see what can be put together.

Chris.

01553 845 945
dxmedia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webby,

That a husky in the back???? God I wouldn't leave mine in a vehicle!!!!   Hope you've a garage to park in overnight!?!??

Still, that's some nice kit which you've got there.

Chris.

01553 845 945
Webby

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is a Husky.  But not one of mine.  Just one I'm rebuilding for a friend.  My saws spend the shortest length of time possible in the truck.  And if they are in there they are chained together to the floor!  
Searching for a decient rear door deadlock at the minute.  
With a SWB i have to be organised or i dont get everything in!
dxmedia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been looking through the screwfix catalogue, there's a van lock on page 258 - £70 ish and looks solid.

Err the url is http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=75457&ts=55406#

Don't know if you ever use screwfix - but they aren't bad (sorry mods not trying to advertise - just personal experience)

Don't know if this is the sort of thing which your looking for??

Chris.

01553 845 945
shinz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

dxmedia wrote:
Good point webby,  MDF came to mind because of it's strenght, but ply in the long term is going to be the better option (strength and resiliance)-
Chris.

It may be possible to get MDF made with phenol resin which will be fairly water resistant but in all honesty any MDF has lousy screw retension compared to ply. I certainly wouldn't use & I make the stuff. Crying or Very sad
Steve.
dxmedia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went for 1/2 inch external grade ply in the end. There's now a box for the boot sat in the kitchen (other half isn't that impressed!!), just need to cover and then it can go in the back.

All in all, quite sucsessful.

Chris.

01553 845 945
mrbeardie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this isn't realy relevent. But i was conserned with leaving my tools(im a sparky) in the back of my lwb trooper so i tried to source a parcel shelf with out spending a fortune so a simple solution was to make one 12mm marine ply took about 1.1-2 hours to get it to fit dam near perfect. What a difference now and it can take a small load on it as well. also never thought of taking the small sorage unit out good idea
dxmedia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

All built now - I'll take a couple of picks and thrown them on my web server after the weekend.   Boy what a difference it makes, a pile of stuff thrown in the back and out of the way...

Chris.

01553 845 945
Webby

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

dxmedia wrote:
Just been looking through the screwfix catalogue, there's a van lock on page 258 - £70 ish and looks solid.

Err the url is http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=75457&ts=55406#

Don't know if you ever use screwfix - but they aren't bad (sorry mods not trying to advertise - just personal experience)

Don't know if this is the sort of thing which your looking for??

Chris.

Cheers for the link.  Had seen it in the catalogue but dismissed it, was hoping to find something which looked a little more discrete.  Not having a lot of luck though so may be going for that in the end.
markymoan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried www.vanliners.co.uk they do deadlocks etc  Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: