4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

3.0 td Starting Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaun Sheep

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 21:18    Post subject: 3.0 td Starting Problem Reply with quote

Hi, im another newbie (but with a long history of 3.1 ownership)with a smallish problem that is driving me up the pole. Ive just purchased a 2004 3.0 td lwb Duty which on start up first thing in the morning is proving to be a real pain.Weve checked the oil level which was low and its booked in for service this friday, could it be so simple has the glow plugs?.When it does start it does white smoke and has no misfires and will start up again straight away.  Ive read through a few of your posts and they have been helpful.The car has just done 60000 miles but i need to know if the recall work has been done, who do i call ?.When do the cambelts want replacing ? Thanks in anticipation, now ive found this site i'll be sure to share some of my experiences with 3.1 motors!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 21:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

normskee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun,
I was in exactly the same position a few weeks ago. My problem turned out to be a glow plug shorting to the block and blowing the 50A glow plug fuse. Coupled with alternator problems it was a nightmare to start in the mornings.
Some very helpful people on here though.
The white smoke could be unburnt fuel, (as mine was). Might be worth a quick check of the fuse (Large Red 50A box type fuse).
Shaun Sheep

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 0:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks normskee, i'l check the fuse tomorrow at snap time in the meantime ive set my missus on with phoning isuzu uk to see what if any recall work has been done.
normskee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rang 0121 5572112. Spoke to a very helpful Brummie bloke who told me exactly which recalls had been done. Don't forget your VIN number.
Starting problems aside, how do you think the 3.0 compares with the 3.1?
Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure when its serviced you only use 5w30 oil ... this is the only grade suitable for the 3.0
Shaun Sheep

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys all the recall work has been done by SG Petch Isuzu in Richmond N.Yorks. While ive been flicking through the service and warranty book ive discovered that 54000 mile service has been completely missed but stamped at a mileage of 51000 miles meaning its done over 9000 miles with no filters or oil(people just dont care when they're getting rid!!).Reading some of your posts it appears that cranking over 8-10 seconds is not uncommon and hopefully when the service is done that will fetch down that time.Would anyone know if synthetic/semi-sythetic 5W30 oil is the best to use or ordinary mineral oil as my local spares shop has the lot.I checked the 50 amp fuse under the bonnet and thats fine-Thanks normskee! but comparing it to the 3.1 its like a bullet when its got warm and the outside air is about 1 degree woo hoo, my dad as a discovery TD5 and he used to leave me for dead when towing the caravans in the old 3.1 but not now in this beast.
markymoan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use only semi or fully synthetic  5w 30 or you will have problems, yeh its like pee but the engine like it  Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 23:24    Post subject: BAD STARTING 3.0 Reply with quote

TO shaun sheep

I USE SEMI 5/30 OIL
YES YOU NEED NEW GLOW PLUGS  (GOOD ONES) HAVE HAD SAME THING WITH MINE . BUT A1 NOW
Shaun Sheep

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your comments,had it serviced and what a difference!!!.She starts now after about 3 to 4 seconds, i tend to leave it a couple of seconds after the pre-heat light has gone out but nevertheless its starting a lot better than before.
UpAndOver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 18:29    Post subject: Starting issues Reply with quote

Interesting info guys.

My 98 3.0td (108k miles) also had white smoke briefly (about 15-20secs) after churning on start up.  Had replaced glow plugs twice in last year in an effort to cure poor starting.  

There has been a helpful suggestion in another posting to get a non-return valve fitted.  I asked garage to do that too when it went in for recall.  But it will have to wait...

Last week it was snowy.  Went to start up and all hell seemed let loose.  Sounded like firing on three cylinders and lots and lots of white smoke.  Opened bonnet and looked like the engine was at a disco, shaking itself about.  Turned off pretty quick.

Called the garage, but they cant/wont offer recovery and I was not about to try driving anywhere, or being towed!  

Phone IM and Peter(?) advised to check dipstick.  And lo' there was a gnashing of teeth seeing the magic increase in fluid level up the dipstick.

So I paid real cash to get recovered to main dealer!  The helpful recovery guy (Stonehenge Recovery Services) noticed there was diesel coming out of the top of the fuel tank while it was up on the back of the recovery truck! No wonder there's a dark patch on the drive.

Waiting to hear what the main dealer finds out...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: