2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

2000lb Caravan Towing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Caravan towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rollinhome71

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 14:09    Post subject: 2000lb Caravan Towing Reply with quote

Hi ..Am I able to tow a 2000lb and little more with a 92 Isuzu Trooper.Isit ok to pull ..I want to but the trooper just to pull the caravan.it is only 15 feet from start of ball hitch.it is about 7 feet high single axle...thks from the newbe.....john
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 14:09    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

markymoan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wouldnt even know its there  Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to relevent section
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

In round figures you are just over halfway to the advised "common sense" towing limit which is 85% of the kerb weight of the vehicle, but looky here:

Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM and with up to eight passenger seats. (Category B)
Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (Maximum allowable Mass) (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

Your caravan weighs 900lbs (410 kg) and your Trooper weighs approx 2,000 kg unladen - total: 2,410 kg or 2.4 tonnes, so yes, well within the limits. In fact using the guidelines above, you could tow a trailer/caravan weighing up to 1.5 tonnes with the Troop and a bit more depending on what your plate says is the max vehicle weight permitted.

But (there's always a but) In summer months you will find marked VOSA patrol cars (they are exactly the same as Highways Agency Rangies except they have VOSA across the hood) on main routes checking caravans and towing rigs and the like.

The one thing you must have in this situation (apart from everything mechanically sound), is the towing vehicle and caravan's "plates" properly attached to both. These plates show the kerb weight and MAM of the vehicle and trailer. Failure to have these in place can result in a prosecution. I haven't checked my Bighorn so not sure of what the limits are, but i think they must all have had plates for the SVA test when imported.

Make sure everything is ticketyboo and don't let the nasties get you... Very Happy

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, forgot to add, "you won't even know it's there"  Laughing

Cheers, Marky. That's dead right that is. Wink

rollinhome71

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 19:55    Post subject: 2000lb Caravan Towing Reply with quote

Thanks for the come backs.Markymoan and Hard 1..I wasn't sure how much  the Trooper would tow.I already have a 1987 Ford Ranger p/u with a 2.3 V6 engine the p/u  is in in really top condition.But the transmission just wouldn't pull my caravan...So I bought this 92 Trooper....Again thanks for the help....P.S. I live in Canada...No problem with weight marked on sides of trooper or caravan..
mutlley

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

know where the plate is on the caravan, but wheres the plate on the bighorn. is it the vin plate under the bonnet (slam plate as we call it)?

you think being a so called professional driver i would know this!  Shocked
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, RollinHome - should have checked your address before going on about VOSA etc.

Interesting point about the "plate" on the 'horn, 'cos I don't know where it is either (or even if it's got one, but i think it must have for the intitial SVA inspection when imported). If we meet some pedantic (read picky) VOSA techie, we're going to need to know what the MAM of the 'horn is (I think MAM is the new buzz word for Gross Vehicle Weight as opposed to Kerb Weight)

I'll have a look tomorrow but i can't say I've seen one... Confused

MartQ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine hasn't got one.  Was pointed out to me by my best mate who happens to be one of those guys from VOSA patrols.  He said don't worry, they're only interested in dodgy foreign HGVs and pikeys and wouldn't pull a normal caravan/car outfit unless it was doing something really weird or had lights not working or something.
Webby

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartQ wrote:
Mine hasn't got one.  Was pointed out to me by my best mate who happens to be one of those guys from VOSA patrols.  He said don't worry, they're only interested in dodgy foreign HGVs and pikeys and wouldn't pull a normal caravan/car outfit unless it was doing something really weird or had lights not working or something.

Don't you believe it!  Got a VOSA weighbridge very close to where my parents live and they are pulling loads of cars and trailers/caravans onto that.  Infact they are often still there at 10pm pulling vehicles in.  
Here is a brief description of the "plate".
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicles/vssafety/towingwithvehiclesfrequently4577
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Item No. 2 is a bit worrying. There's definitely no weight on the VIN plate. According to their rules, no weight displayed - no legal towing possible period.

Anyone know how we can deal with this legally?

Maybe I should contact VOSA directly with the question....

Grandad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the start of the page in Webby`s link it says
"Acar that has EC whole vehicle type approval"
so that puts the imports outside the rules as they either have no approval just mot if older than ten years when first imported or if under ten years SVA or ESVA
so keep on towing and Hard 1 don`t ask them any questions or there may be a lot of import owners throwing towbars at you Rolling Eyes
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Act dumb say nowt I geddit....

Not hard really....

kwakattaker

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 22:42    Post subject: caravan towing Reply with quote

I have been towing a 7.3mtr long caravan which weighs in at 1350kg with nothing in it I tow with a LWB3.1 trooper which makes light work of it I think you would struggle to find a better tow car.
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not wrong. Last year I towed a 30' long  3,500 kgs ex Police recruiting caravan (ironic eh?) down from the Midlands and although it tried to overtake me when I was doing 65 mph down hill on the A34 at one stage, we both survived, and I know it could have coped with a much heavier load....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Caravan towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: